Prabhupada Speaks - in USA, San Francisco
- ♫ Click into a page that catches your attention and start hearing short audio clips of Srila Prabhupada's Vani. Each page has an audio clip of between 1 to 15 minutes.
Pages in category "Prabhupada Speaks - in USA, San Francisco"
The following 183 pages are in this category, out of 183 total.
- A bona fide spiritual master means there is no difference of instruction from the original instructor and down to this point. He's bona fide spiritual master. So therefore you have to select. If you actually want to make progress in Krsna consciousness
- A carpenter is called to fight? A cow slaughterer is called to preside over the meeting? What is this? One must be fit for the business
- According to Caitanya Mahaprabhu, the so-called Vedanta societies, the so-called, I mean to say, learned scholars on Vedanta, they are not actually Vedanta scholars. They are all fools and rascals. Because Vedanta-sutra is very difficult to understand
- Actually we are serving money. Any why you are serving money? Because with the money we can satisfy our senses
- Actually, these discussions of scripture is not to be acted unless there is relationship between the speaker and the audience. So audience means the disciples. Disciple means who accepts the discipline. Sisya
- Alexander and the thief
- All those thousands of people assembled in the market, they have got their sleeping place. They have got their eating place. So by arrangement. There is arrangement. Similarly, there may be millions and millions of living entities; God has arrangement
- And what was his (Prakasananda Sarasvati's) role again in the town? What was he... He was a Vedantist?
- Anxious to learn from the spiritual master?
- Are the people (at Srinivasa's house) mainly young people like Himself (Lord Caitanya)?
- Are there any of the characters listed up here among the brahmanas who complained (to the magistrate)?
- As soon as my money is gone out of my hand, I have no control
- Bhagavata communism says that even if you have got a lizard in your room, you must give him something to eat. If you have got a serpent in your room, you must give it something to eat. Nobody in your house should starve
- Bhajahu Re Mana, 1967 part one - Durlabha manava-janama. Durlabha means very rare to obtain. Manava-janma means this human form of life. It comes after a very long rotation
- Bhajahu Re Mana, 1967 part two - Abhilasa means aspiration, hope, or ambition. He (Govinda dasa) is ambitious of becoming a devotee in nine different ways
- By association, good association, everything is possible. Therefore you have to make this association of Krsna consciousness so perfect that anyone who comes in contact with that association, he becomes purified automatically
- Caitanya Mahaprabhu does not follow the formality, only the sannyasis should be the spiritual master. Anyone who knows the science of Krsna, he can be spiritual master
- Could you give me a brief rundown on their...? Are they devotee, they're devotees... (Srinivasa and Haridasa. Haridasa character is there?)
- Could you tell about Lord Caitanya asking where is Krsna and falling in the water?
- Determination is increased by celibacy. Brahmacarya is recommended to keep oneself determined. A brahmacari, if he determines something, he executes. He has got that strength of mind
- Did He (Caitanya Mahaprabhu) have a spiritual master?
- Did you say that Sri Krsna Caitanya was playing Radha?
- Do you think this flower which is coming out daily in your garden in different colors and different smell and flavor, they are being done without any artistic sense? This is nonsense. There is sense. There is God's potency
- Do you want to give ... authorization to take sannyasa as soon as possible?
- Does He (Lord Caitanya) meet any of these characters at the river?
- Does she (Caitanya Mahaprabhu's mother) give Him her blessing finally?
- Don't slip down. That is my request. Whatever I could do, I have done. Now it is up to you to spread this movement all over the world. Don't go away
- Dvisatah means there is a class who are always envious of God. As soon as you speak something about God, they become fire: "Oh, what is this God nonsense?"
- Each one of us, we are part and parcel of God. So we have got some duty. Just like the part and parcel of my body has got some duty. The eyes, his duty is to see. The ear, his duty is to hear
- Either expansion or incarnation, they are all candles. The original candle is Krsna. It is not that expansion of expansion is less powerful. The candle power is the same either origin or expansion or expansion of the expansion
- Even the guru is not physically present, if you follow the vani, then you are getting help
- Everyone is trying to be happy by his work. A man, ordinary worker, he is also trying to be happy by working, and a great capitalist, he is also trying to be happy by work. But Bhagavad-gita says that they are trying to be happy in what sense?
- Everyone, I shall request you to chant Hare Krsna. We have enjoyed so many lives in the past, or suffered. Now, this life, at least one life may be devoted for chanting Hare Krsna and see the result. That is our request
- Fifth scene (of a play on Lord Caitanya)... This is Haridasa Thakura?... At who's death? At Haridasa's death?
- First thing is that calculation of Candra, moon planet, there are different views. Different scientists, they have different views. It is not a standard
- Freedom is achieved when we are in constantly touch with the supreme spirit, Krsna. That supreme spirit is Krsna. So this assembly which we are trying to conduct is just to keep in touch constantly with Krsna
- Gandhi, he wanted to prove, from Bhagavad-gita, nonviolence. The Bhagavad-gita is being preached in the battlefield, and it is completely violence. How he can prove? Therefore he is dragging the meaning out
- Generally we chant this mahamantra, Hare Krsna, and then we deliver speeches from Bhagavad-gita, Srimad-Bhagavatam, and then there are questions, we answer, and in that way the audience and the disciples they become enlightened and they advance
- God is Krsna. That is my magic. I don't bluff people. Here is God. See God, be with God, serve God. That's my business
- God is so great, so I must render some service to God. This sense of service is further development. Just like from the sky the air develops, similarly, from the idea of greatness of God the sense of service develops
- Good, or piety, that is God's frontage, and evil means God's back side. So taking this example, the chest or the back of my body, they are equal
- Hari bol means
- How can you write or how you can speak unless you think of Him? You are hearing about Krsna; you have to think, then you can speak. Otherwise not
- How does He (Caitanya Mahaprabhu) accept sannyasi?
- How many hours you are sleeping?
- How old is Caitanya now (second act of a play on Lord Caitanya) ?
- How old is He (Caitanya Mahaprabhu) at this (when He visited the Jagannatha temple) point?
- How old is He here (in the sixth scene)? How old is Caitanya here? Maybe five, six?
- How old is this man (Prakasananda Sarasvati)?
- I also speak from the Bhagavad-gita and the students also speak from the Bhagavad-gita. The Bhagavad-gita is the same in all the centers. But it may be because I have little more experience I can explain them a little more nicely
- I am speaking to you of my personal experience how this eagerness of hearing is a very important thing
- I asked my mother in my childhood, "My dear mother, how did I come out from your belly?" I still remember. So my mother showed me her navel: "You come out from this place"
- I did not ask my students to marry to become a lost child. I wanted to give them some facility, because you cannot do without wife. But now I am seeing that some of them are slipping away
- I have come to your country to give you something sublime, not to take from you, not to exploit you
- I have no objection. If you present the characters in European style
- I want to work, I want to work
- I was simply inquiring from other disciples of my spiritual master. At that time I was not a disciple. "So when His Holiness will speak?"
- I will never die, I shall live for my books, and you will utilize
- I would have collected millions of dollars if I would have cheated like that. But I do not want that. I want one student who follows my instruction. I don't want millions
- If anyone becomes spiritually advanced, the agents of maya will criticize. So therefore you have to become tolerant
- If I close my eyes, I cannot see with my ears. But about the Supreme Personality of Godhead it is said that He can see with His ears, He can see with His hand, and He can hear with His hand. He can do anything from any part of His body. That is spiritual
- If Krsna says that "You give me meat," then we can offer Krsna meat also. But Krsna does not say that. Krsna says, "Give Me fruits, flowers, grains." So we have no quarrel with the meat-eaters. Let them do whatever he likes
- If you scrutinizingly test it and try to understand this movement, then you'll feel yourself that it is wonderful. And actually it is wonderful. And the process is also very simple
- If you think, "Oh, this, this svamiji, or the spiritual master, is less intelligent than me or less educated than me or less in so many ways," then you cannot select a spiritual master
- If you want to learn this Krsna consciousness movement, we have got enough books. You can scientifically and philosophically study
- In our dealings, there are so many faulty dealings between ourselves. So if we take everything very seriously, then it is very difficult to live. So ksama means forgiveness - will reduce
- Is there any other information about Haridasa (and after burial there was distribution of prasadam and kirtana. Haridasa Ṭhakura. So here you have to show some talks with Haridasa, how feelingly)?
- Is there anyone there? Any of these characters there? I'm trying to introduce these characters (Srinivasa and Haridasa)
- Is there something wrong with sleeping eight hours?
- Is this the learned brahmana (so he asked his men to carry Him to his place and that will be the scene. Then after His departure His followers will come, and they will search in the temple that Caitanya Mahaprabhu is not there. Then one Gopinatha Acarya)?
- It is very difficult to push on this movement, but still we have to do it. This is the highest yoga. If you push on this movement of Krsna consciousness, then you'll be performing the highest type of yoga. Don't be misled by so-called yogas. This is yoga
- It may be sometimes misunderstood that western people are only under the influence of Kali. Because the world is under the influence of Kali. Not that in your country only this intoxication, illicit sex. No, everywhere it is
- It was the request of Radharani to Krsna, "There in Vrndavana You were a cowherd boy, and We used to meet in the jungles, in the bushes. So I want to take You there. Then I will be happy"
- Just like "Don't do this. Don't do this. Don't do this." So if you have faith, you will not do it. But because you have no faith, you will do it, and therefore you will go to ruin
- Just like I am traveling all over the world twice, thrice, in a year. My duty is to see that my disciples who have accepted me guru, they may not fall down. That is my anxiety
- Just like myself, I took initiation from my Guru Maharaja, but I took sannyasa from a Godbrother who is a sannyasi. So my original guru is that spiritual master who initiated me, but he's also a siksa guru
- Just like weeds in the field. They appeared completely dried up. There is no more. But as soon as there are drops of rain, oh, again it becomes green
- Just like your American country, it has a date of its beginning. Now it is staying. Now it will be, some day will come, there will be no more America. You should know it. That means, that is nature's law
- Knowledge is received through the ear, aural reception. Why not with eyes and other senses? That is also very important to know. Suppose you are sleeping. Then all your senses are also sleeping. But the ear does not sleep
- Krsna consciousness is not an artificial thing, that we have manufactured some ideas and advertising that we are Krsna conscious. No
- Krsna consciousness means to have all kinds of knowledge. Not that we Krsna conscious people are being carried away by some sentiment. No. We have got philosophy, science, theology, ethics, morality, everything
- Krsna consciousness movement is a fight against all the owls
- Krsna consciousness, or devotional service, means purifying the senses. That's all. We haven't got to eradicate, get out of the sensual activities. No. We have simply to purify the senses
- Krsna says that simply by understanding Him, what He is, how does He come, how does He walk, one immediately gets passport to enter into the spiritual kingdom
- Last night in the television, one boy was asking me, "Swamiji, you are all after spiritualism. Why you are using this clay as tilaka and so many things you are using which is matter?"
- Live very cautiously and preach very cautiously and seriously, then in this one life you will become successful, go back to home, back to Godhead. One life. You haven't got to wait for another life
- Male, his (Kali's) feature black, and dressed like a king. Black means ignorance. And similarly the scene is also blackish
- Man is rational. Man is animal, but rational animal. The special gift to man is that he can decide what is good, what is bad. He has got an extra knowledge than the animals
- Materialism means sense gratification, and spiritualism means to love God. That's all. Personal sense gratification. Here the relationship is just like a girl or a boy. The so-called love is temporary. That's all. There is no love
- Murari Gupta saw one peacock, and as soon as he saw the peacock, the feather, he at once remembered Krsna and at once fainted and fall down
- My Guru Maharaja passed in 1936, and I started this movement in 1965, thirty years after. Then? I am getting the mercy of guru. This is vani
- My Guru Maharaja, my spiritual master, he was sannyasi, and his title was Sarasvati
- My position is that I want to see that at least one disciple has become pure devotee. Of course, I have got many sincere and pure devotees. That is my good luck. But I would have been satisfied if I could find out one only
- No! There is possibility, but he does not come. Just like after putting your hand in the fire, you never put it again if you are really intelligent. So those who are going back to Godhead, they become intelligent
- Now Kali is depicted as a male. As male?
- Now the constables broke up a sankirtana carried on by Caitanya's friends. Any location here particular?
- Now the second scene here, this is when Caitanya on the seashore, this is when He would walk around saying, "Where is Krsna?" Is that right?
- Now the spiritual master is explaining, "Yes, this is the right result of chanting Hare Krsna. Unless You come to this emotional stage, transcendental emotional stage, You should know that You have not come to the perfectional stage of chanting"
- Now what direct relationship does this (the Ksira-cora-gopinatha story) have to Lord Caitanya?
- Now Yamuna has taken a very nice path. She has also become sannyasini. Although there is no sannyasini for women, but she has voluntarily taken
- Of Caitanya's. They all became devo...the King of Orissa?
- One should be engaged for earning money because the body requires material necessities. That's all right. But his real attention should be how to achieve spiritual consciousness, or Krsna consciousness
- Or are they (the people at Srinivasa's house) older brahmanas?
- Our mind is so disturbed that concentration of meditation is not possible. But this chanting, as soon as we chant, by force our mind is engaged in chanting and hearing, by force: "Hare Krsna." So even my mind is disturbed, by the vibration I am attracted
- People are, in modern day, they cannot sit down in a place for a long time. Therefore so much traveling. The traveling business is very prosperous. Everyone wants to travel. They cannot fix, fix up
- People may not misunderstand that here a scene is depicted simply criticizing the western way. That is my point
- Prabhupada? If you say that purity is required for faith to develop, what are the symptoms by which one can be said to be pure?
- Prahlada Maharaja says that dharman bhagavatan, to become Krsna conscious, or God conscious, is so important that we should not lose even a moment's time. Immediately we shall begin
- Ramananda Raya, he was also a sudra, and he was a householder and a politician, governor, but Caitanya Mahaprabhu took instruction from him. Caitanya Mahaprabhu gave him the preference of being a teacher. Ramananda Raya was hesitating
- Religion does not mean that "My religion says this. Your religion says this. Your religion says this." Religion means whether you are properly executing the will of the Supreme. That's all. This is religion
- Religious spirit is there. You are responding to my appeal because you have got that spirit. Otherwise, why should you come and waste your time with me?
- Selection of spiritual master means first of all you must agree, "Here is a personality where I can bow down my head. Yes." Everyone is proud. Why shall he bow down before a person unless he understands that - Here is a personality who is greater than me
- Separated energy you'll understand: just like I am speaking, and my speech is being recorded in the tape recorder. So even I am not here, if you apply the machine, it will exactly speak like me. That is my energy, but now it is separated
- Sleeping and eating, this is the material disease. Sleeping, eating, mating... So they should be reduced as much as possible
- So Advaita is old too, isn't he (Haridasa should be a old man)? And Nivas (Srinivas)
- So how Krsna consciousness acts, how this transcendental sound cleanses your heart, you may not understand in the beginning, but if you take to it and if you practice it, then you understand
- Spiritual master is the negotiator. He is the broker. Of course, without any brokerage, but he is supposed to be the broker or the transparent medium. My Guru Maharaja used to say, "the transparent media, via media"
- That (Caitanya Mahaprabhu in the middle would dance and the four parties will chant Hare Krsna) only happened as long as He stayed there (Jagannatha Puri). Is that right?
- That he (the guru) was speaking, vani and vapuh. Even if you don't see his body, you take his word, vani
- That is the verdict of Srimad-Bhagavatam. So long one is not a surrendered soul to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, there is no question of liberation from this material world
- That purity is said, adau sraddha: "Beginning is faith." Now tato sadhu-sangah: "You mix with faithful men." Then it will develop. Otherwise, if you take simply initiation and then sleep, then faith will be lost. That is happening
- That religion is best which helps someone, the religionist, to develop love of God, Godhead. If you put to test all kinds of religion in this formula of Srimad-Bhagavatam, you'll understand which religion is best. You haven't got to ask anybody
- The beginning of service is chanting. Therefore it is said, jihvadau. Jihvadau means, jihva means tongue. Tongue. Your service begins by the tongue. How? By the tongue you can chant Hare Krsna, and by the tongue you can taste Krsna's prasadam
- The best service to the humanity is to revive his Krsna consciousness, God consciousness. That will save him. Not this little hospital or this little foodstuff. No. That cannot save him
- The computer machine is not brain; the man who is pushing the buttons, he has got the brain. So we have to learn like that. Therefore we have to take knowledge from Krsna, and Krsna is giving knowledge directly in the Bhagavad-gita
- The fifth scene is renunciation of household life... This is at age...? This is considerably later then. This is about ten years later
- The fire of Krsna consciousness will keep you always progressing, but at the same time, if we also voluntarily do not pour water on that fire, then it will be nice. Similarly, Krsna consciousness or chanting Hare Krsna will keep you progressive
- The friends of Caitanya. What are their names again?
- The government has two department - criminal and civil. Civil department is controlled by the sastra, law codes, and the criminal department is governed by the sastra, weapons. So this is the rule from time immemorial. Both things are required
- The Kali is not transcendental. Kali is material
- The living entity is described in the Bhagavad-gita as sarvaga. Sarvaga means he can go anywhere within this universe. He can go in the spiritual sky also. Sarvaga means including everywhere, if he likes
- The sannyasis are meant for preaching and the GBC's are meant for managing
- The soul is the production of Krsna. Therefore ultimately, He is our dearmost friend. We are trying to love somebody. That somebody is a perverted reflection of Krsna
- The speciality of Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu was that He used to put very sound arguments, and He used to defeat His opponents in such a way that they were satisfied. They were not inimical. And with the evidence of sastra. Not that argumentum vaculum
- The students are being trained. The students, they also speak the same thing. There is nothing new. I also speak from the Bhagavad-gita and the students also speak from the Bhagavad-gita. The Bhagavad-gita is the same in all the centers
- The Vedanta philosophy actually belongs to the Vaisnava sampradaya because it was compiled by Vyasadeva, who is the original spiritual master of this Vaisnava sampradaya
- There are so many so-called swamis. They are coming, and they are preaching that "You are God. I am God." Then who is God? Everyone is God? No. Therefore you will find in the Vedic literature definition of God
- There is a Bengali, two lines: rakse krsna mare ke, mare krsna rakse ke. If Krsna, if God wants to kill somebody, oh, nobody can protect him. And if God wants to protect him, oh, nobody can kill him
- There is a very nice story. In our college days in logic class of Professor Purnachandra Sen, he cited a very nice example, that a student approached his teacher and the contract was that he wanted to become a law student, lawyer
- There must be one supreme source. That is God. Simple to understand. Is it very difficult to understand? The supreme cause, He is God
- There's no sermon as we would know in other churches?
- Therefore we have established Back to Godhead. The students are allowed, whatever they are hearing, they must be thoughtful and write
- They cannot stop death, neither birth, nor old age, nor disease. And during the short period of life, birth and death, they are making big, big buildings, and next time he is becoming one rat within the buildings
- This feeling of separation will make you enriched in Krsna consciousness. Feeling of separation. Not that "Krsna, I have seen you. Finished. All right. I have understood You."
- This is His determination to incarnate as Lord Caitanya?
- This is the nature of loving emotion of a devotee, that he sometimes laughs, sometimes dances, sometimes cries
- This Jagannatha Deity was established by one King Indradyumna about more than three thousand years ago. This temple is very old. Even in some literatures of your Christian religion I find that Lord Jesus Christ also went to this Jagannatha temple
- This Krsna consciousness movement, although it appears a new movement in your country, but it is known to the world. But nobody had previously attempted to put these ideas and movement in practical shape. So that I am doing
- This material nature is very powerful. You cannot protect from the onslaught of material nature. Therefore Prahlada Maharaja advising us that you try to achieve the permanent. The permanent is the soul. God is permanent
- This world is not false because it is emanation from the real, the absolute real. How it can be false? It has got its proper use. One who does not know its proper use, for them it is false. They are after something false
- Those who are too much addicted to sex life, they cannot be determined. They cannot be fixed-up. They are fluctuating, changing
- We are impure because we are compact in designations: Oh, I am Christian-I am Hindu-I am American-I am Indian-I am white-I am black. These are all designations. If you simply know that "I am servant of Krsna. I am servant of God," then you are purified
- We are instructing in the class because there are few disciples who have taken vow to learn from me. Otherwise, I have no business to teach the public. The public may come. But actual interest is to teach my disciples
- We are making this preaching work of Krsna consciousness. If somebody comes he's Krsna's, he's not mine. These boys serving me, not for my sense gratification, for developing Krsna consciousness
- We are not admitted in the spiritual kingdom unless we have given up this false sense of lording it over the material nature. Here, the conditioned souls, everyone is trying to become the lord, imitating. Everyone is trying. But there is clash
- We are trying to form character and God consciousness, Krsna consciousness. So therefore it is not that this society is opened for exploiting others. This society is for giving good association to the misguided people
- We believe in Krsna consciousness. We have to purify. Just like this is also a belief, that you will be happy by drinking alcohol. That is your consciousness. I don't believe in that
- We have to be very sincere devotee of Krsna and He will supply everything. In that position, go on preaching. Don't be tottering. You have taken a great responsibility; go on executing it. Don't fight amongst yourselves for petty things
- We have to follow the footprints of the acaryas. Mahajano yena gatah sa panthah. We cannot understand higher things unless we follow the footprint of great personalities
- Well, is that (Lord Caitanya inquiring from Ramananda Raya) important? That's the scene about the meeting
- What do you mean He wouldn't address him because He was a sannyasi (Ramananda Raya was coming in procession, Caitanya Mahaprabhu understood that he is Ramananda Raya. But because He was sannyasi, He did not address him)?
- What does this story (the story of the Gopala, Saksi) have to do with the temple? Lord Caitanya has entered this temple
- What happens in your temples. Do you have services like other religions?
- What is His (Caitanya Mahaprabhu's) age? I just want to keep checking on this, His age now. Is He twenty, in His twenties still?
- What is that desire tree? Just like here in, in this material world, a tree is meant for delivering a particular fruit or flower, but desire tree means whatever you desire you get immediately delivered from the tree
- What is the outcome of this (discussion of the Vedanta-sutra between Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya and Caitanya Mahaprabhu) now? Final outcome?
- When Krsna consciousness will be perfect, you'll be transferred from this planet, or from this material world, to the spiritual world, and you'll talk with Krsna just (as) you are talking with me
- When our eyes are anointed with love of God, we can see Him everywhere
- When there is gain, don't be puffed up. You should think that this gain is for the Lord. And when there is loss, you should know that "This is not my responsibility. It is God's work. He'll see." Then you'll be happy
- When we perform the class I remembered that scene. Yes. That Caitanya Mahaprabhu is dancing before Jagannatha. Every evening four parties. In each party four mrdanga and eight karatalas
- Who is in charge of a temple when you're not here?
- Who is in Krsna consciousness, he sees everyone on the same level. How it is, that? Has he become a madman, that a highly intellectual person and the dog, he sees on the equal level? Yes. Because he is not seeing on the material platform
- Who is Jagannatha Misra's wife again?
- Who is this (Prakasananda Sarasvati)?
- Who wrote the other Lord Caitanya? That other play?
- With this mission, I have come to your country with the hope that if the American people take it very seriously, then it will be the greatest contribution to the world
- You are all chanting sixteen rounds? No? (laughs)
- You are getting twenty dollars a day now. Tomorrow I have no money. You will have to work free, - "Ah, no, no, sir. I'm not coming. Because I am not serving you, I am serving your money." So actually we are serving money
- You are more advanced in every way, you Americans. And because I have come from India with some poor knowledge, I am injecting something in your brain? No. The Krsna consciousness is already there. I am simply helping you to revive it
- You can call sermon, because there is prayer song and there is, I mean to say, recitation from scriptures
- You do not become God, but you are already in godly quality, qualities, to some extent, not fully. So when you are free from these material clutches, you attain your original quality, spiritual quality
- You have to spend two hours for Krsna out of twenty-four
- You mentioned something about Caitanya dancing with Haridasa?