surprise | surprised | surprises | surprising | surprisingly
Subcategories Pages in category
This category has the following 6 subcategories, out of 6 total.
Pages in category "Surprised"
The following 162 pages are in this category, out of 162 total.
- A devotee actually has no attraction for household life, but surprisingly, King Priyavrata enjoyed household life very much. One may argue, "Why is it wrong to enjoy household life?"
- Abruptly if we stop, that will not be good. So we have to rectify by arrangement and agreement. I am simply surprised how you all GBC men agreed to give him $4000 per month. So the mistake has been made, now it has to be corrected by other ways
- According to Vedic culture, a woman must accept the husband given to her by her parents and remain chaste and faithful to him. Therefore King Saryati was surprised to see a young man by the side of Sukanya
- Agnidhra appreciated the wonderful beauty of Purvacitti. Indeed, he was surprised to see such exceptional beauty, which must have been the result of past austerities and penances
- All the soldiers of Saryati were immediately obstructed from passing urine and stool. Upon perceiving this, Saryati spoke to his associates in surprise
- All these criticisms were carried to Lord Caitanya when He was at Benares, and He was not at all surprised at them (the Mayavadi philosophers). He even smiled when the news was carried to Him
- All you are young Westerners. You never study Vedanta, but you can surprise many so-called Vedantists how to understand Krsna
- Although as a devotee he (Maitreya) externally expressed surprise, as if he did not know how to reply to those questions, he immediately became perfectly settled and properly replied to Vidura
- Although Vasudeva had promised to hand over every child to Kamsa, this time he wanted to break his promise and hide the child somewhere. But because of the Lord's appearance in this surprising four-armed form, He would be impossible to hide
- As soon as Kunti called for the demigod of the sun, he immediately appeared before her, and she was very much surprised
- At first, Balarama was surprised by the demon’s appearance, and He began to wonder, "How is it that all of a sudden this carrier has changed in every way?"
- At that time, Raghava Pandita arrived there. Seeing the situation, he began to laugh in great surprise
- Atri Muni was confidently aware that the Supreme Personality of Godhead is the Lord of the universe, so he prayed for the one Supreme Lord. He was surprised, therefore, that three of them appeared
- Australian cities, like your Melbourne city... I was just speaking to my students, "If any Indian comes, so they will be surprised with this standard of living." They will think that "Oh, it is heaven." Because the material prosperity is far different
- Balarama was surprised to see the acts of yogamaya. Therefore He inquired from Krsna, What is happening here? What is this mystery?
- Balarama was surprised. This extraordinary show of affection, He thought, was something mystical, performed either by the demigods or some wonderful man. Otherwise, how could this wonderful change take place?
- Because Citraketu was undoubtedly a Vaisnava, he might have been surprised that Parvati had cursed him. The goddess Parvati addressed him as putra, or son. Everyone is the son of mother Durga, but she is not an ordinary mother
- Before even being introduced to a foreigner, one becomes acquainted with him through his dress, bodily features and behavior and can thus understand his position. Therefore when the Yamadutas saw the Visnudutas for the first time, they were surprised
- Bhattacarya's brother-in-law, Gopinatha Acarya, and the devotees of the Lord were surprised to see the Bhattacarya transformed into a great devotee
- Brahma said, "I am simply surprised with the fortunate position of Maharaja Nanda, mother Yasoda and the cowherd men & gopis, because You, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the Absolute Truth, are existing here as their most intimate lovable object"
- Brahma was surprised that his mystic power had been neglected. Without touching the original cows and cowherd boys, Krsna had created another assembly of calves and boys, who were all expansions of visnu-tattva. Thus Brahma's mystic power was superseded
- Brahma was surprised. The original cowherd boys and cows, he thought, are still where I put them last year. So who is it that is now keeping company with Krsna exactly as before? Where have they come from
- Citralekha and Usa were intimate friends, and out of great curiosity Citralekha asked, "My dear beautiful princess, as of yet you are not married to any young boy, nor have you seen any boys until now; I am surprised that you are exclaiming like this"
- Consequently many people are surprised to see how Americans and Europeans have become such great devotees and are dancing in ecstasy. How is it they are so advanced? They have taken the information seriously: krsnas tu bhagavan svayam - SB 1.3.28
- Contradictory traits in Krsna's person are not at all surprising; one should not consider the characteristics of Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, to be actually contradictory
- First of all I do not want to be relieve also. That is also another disease. You see? You will be surprised. It is my practical experience. This Krsna consciousness movement, before starting, I wrote one letter to Mahatma Gandhi
- Foolish people are surprised that one can lie down within water and sleep very happily. But a little intelligence can mitigate this foolish astonishment. There are many living entities within the bed of the ocean
- Haridasa Thakura said to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, "Here is Sanatana Gosvami offering his obeisances." Seeing Sanatana Gosvami, the Lord was greatly surprised
- He explained how Junior Haridasa had made his resolution and had thus entered the waters at the confluence of the Yamuna and Ganges. Hearing these details, Srivasa Thakura and the other devotees were very surprised
- He was also surprised to see the red dust of perfumed kunkuma spread over her breasts. Nevertheless, still considering Purvacitti a boy, Agnidhra addressed her as subhaga, most fortunate muni
- He was surprised to see the brilliance of their faces. Indeed, among them Vallabha Bhatta seemed just like a glowworm
- Here there are so many new flower-like young boys and girls, and they are all so much interested in Krishna Consciousness very seriously. I am surprised at their great enthusiasm, and I am very happy amongst them
- His (Prahlada) father was surprised, so he asked him, "How have you taken to Krsna consciousness?" The answer was, - My dear father, Krsna consciousness cannot be achieved by a person like you, whose job is always simply to enjoy this material world
- I am surprised that such bogus letters have come from parties claiming to belong to our centers. Our disciple Krishna das is in Germany, not in Montreal. Anyway, such irresponsible letters dispatched from our temples must be stopped immediately
- I am surprised that You imitate the activities of ordinary human beings just to please Your devotee - Devaki prayed to the Lord
- I am surprised that you write to say, even after a month, that the amount has not been received by you
- I am surprised to know that the actual collection was $1,750 and the doctors and lawyers, etc. have taken more than $1,000. Anyway, something is better than nothing. Whatever we have got will be used for Krishna's service
- I am surprised to learn how he has ceased to become my attorney without my advice, nor do I have any information as to who is acting as my attorney
- I am surprised to see one item: withdrawal of $10.08 (ten dollars and eight cents) on the 16th December, 1969. I have not withdrawn anything, so how it so happens?
- I am surprised. You are not a literary student and do not have long experience in studying the sastras. How have You been able to explain all these critical points?
- I am very much surprised that other nonsense magazines are being published by Dayala Nitai, and Janardana says it is in my knowledge! I am very much surprised to hear this
- I find that the passport does not belong to me. I am very much surprised how this misdelivery has been possible
- I have heard a serious complaint against you that you are in intimate relation with Aradhana's wife Santanu. I am not only surprised but I cannot believe that a nice boy like you should be thus accused
- I think Bhurijana was doing nicely preaching to the Chinese boys but he has written that he is uninspired and feeling incapable and wants to spend more time with his wife. This sudden turn of events is a surprise to me
- I think by your exemplary character the Indian public will be surprised and they will take to your way of life; this is the second phase of my missionary activities
- I understand from your letter that sometimes discussions on Aurobindo philosophy are done by Mr. Parikh from the Vyasasana, so I am a little surprised how did you allow like this. I think you should rectify immediately all these mistakes as stated by you
- I want to have a small Vaisnava state - varnasrama, ideal. Ideal Vaisnava state. Brahmana, ksatriya, vaisya, sudra, they are doing very nicely, & people will be surprised, "Oh." There is no question of hatred. It is division for proper discharge of duty
- I was simply surprised not to hear from you in so long and therefore I am so much pleased to hear from you. May Krishna bless you for pushing on so sincerely our Krishna Consciousness Movement
- I was surprised to hear from one of my principal disciples, Brahmananda - I was walking in the Central Park - that the groups of the hippies, they have begun to worship hogs
- I was surprised when I came to your country. I saw young girls and ladies, they have no bangles, no ornaments. At least, I was surprised. And smoking cigarettes. What is this opulence?
- I was surprised when, after my meeting, they purchased books, because these South African white men, they do not like very much Indians
- Indeed, their (Sisupala's and Dantavakra's) tongues were not attacked by white leprosy, nor did they enter the darkest region of hellish life. We are certainly most surprised by this
- Indeed, they (the brahmanas) were rather surprised to see such a great sannyasi touch a sudra, and they were also surprised to see Ramananda Raya, who was a great governor and practically king of that province, crying simply by touching a sannyasi
- Indra was surprised to see that Vrtrasura, undisturbed, was fixed in devotional service to the Lord, for such a mentality is impossible for a demon. However, by the grace of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, anyone can become an exalted devotee
- It is not a fact that everyone and anyone can reach the Supreme Personality of Godhead by worshiping material demigods. It is therefore surprising that a man can imagine that he will become perfect by worshiping the demigods
- It is not surprising that newspapers report that faith in a personal God is decreasing. Nonetheless, God is a person. Ya adyo bhagavan
- It is only possible in devotional service. Attachment for family affairs and devotional service are incompatible. Pariksit was somewhat surprised to hear that Maharaja Priyavrata was simultaneously attached to devotional service and to family life
- It is surprising that Vasudeva and Devaki did not enjoy the transcendental bliss of Krsna’s childhood pastimes, although Krsna was their real son
- It is very surprising that Indian students are asking, "What is God?" So this is lamentable in this sense, that people are reducing in their sense of spiritual realization. That is a very regrettable fact
- It was surprising, of course, that in the same school the other boys of the Daityas were not polluted; only Prahlada Maharaja was supposedly polluted by the instructions of the Vaisnavas
- Jayadratha's father was surprised to see a severed head on his lap, and he at once threw it to the ground. The father immediately died, his forehead being cracked in seven pieces
- Junior Haridasa had made his resolution and had thus entered the waters at the confluence of the Yamuna and Ganges. Hearing these details, Srivasa Thakura and the other devotees were very surprised
- Kardama Muni was surprised that he could produce such a palace, and similarly his wife, Devahuti, was also astonished. How could she live in that opulent palace? Kardama Muni could understand her astonishment
- Kasyapa Muni was surely sympathetic to his wife's affliction, yet he was surprised at how the whole world is influenced by affection
- King Pariksit inquired: O great personality, Maharaja Ambarisa was certainly most exalted and meritorious in character. I wish to hear about him. How surprising it is that the curse of a brahmana, which is insurmountable, could not act upon him
- King Saryati, who did not know the real facts of Cyavana Muni's transformation, was surprised to see the behavior of his daughter
- Krsna has given us a tongue and two ears, and we may be surprised to know that Krsna is realized through the ears and tongue, not through the eyes
- Laksmana said, "My dear Queen, you will be surprised to know that at my svayamvara meeting there were many famous kings and heroes present"
- Lord is always thinking of you, & you are also recognized by all His confidential devotees because you are a pure devotee of the Lord. Your life is meant for exemplary behavior. I am therefore surprised - why have you undertaken such an abominable task?
- Maharaja Pariksit was surprised, thinking - What did mother Yasoda and Nanda Maharaja do in their previous lives by which they got such a great opportunity, the opportunity to be the affectionate father and mother of Krsna
- Maharaja Yudhisthira was surprised that a pure devotee could return to this material world. This is certainly a very important question
- Many persons are simply surprised that this Sankirtana Movement of Lord Caitanya has been so nicely accepted all over the world with such good results. It is actually revolutionary
- Mucukunda continued, "I can see that Your feet are just like soft lotus flowers. How could You walk in the forest, full of thorns & pebbles? I am simply surprised to see this! Are You not the S P of God, the most powerful amongst the powerful"
- Nakula began lamenting: "O, all auspiciousness to Krsna! I am so surprised to see that the condemned descendants of the Kurus, who so unlawfully occupied the throne of the Kuru kingdom, are at the same time criticizing Krsna with diplomatic devices"
- Nanda Maharaja was surprised that Yasoda, Krsna's mother, could have bound her beloved child in such a way. Krsna was exchanging love with her. How then could she have been so cruel as to bind Him to the wooden mortar
- Narada spoke as follows: "By Your (Krsna's) grace, however, I have seen many times the action of Your inconceivable potency & therefore when You ask me for the news of the Pandavas, which is not at all unknown to You, I am not surprised at Your inquiry"
- Nectar seemed to emanate from her (Purvacitti's) mouth, and he (Agnidhra) was increasingly surprised
- Neophytes may sometimes commit some offense. There is nothing surprising in this, but their ardent desire to convey the idea of Krishna consciousness is always laudable
- Now people are surprised: "How these people have become such great devotees." So it was not based on varnasrama-dharma, no, because the whole movement is spiritual. It starts from the spiritual platform, aham brahmasmi
- O King, the elephant and the crocodile fought in this way, pulling one another in and out of the water, for one thousand years. Upon seeing the fight, the demigods were very surprised
- On coming out of the cave, Mucukunda saw that the human species had surprisingly been reduced in stature to pygmy size. Similarly, the trees had also been far reduced in size, and Mucukunda could immediately understand that the current age was Kali-yuga
- One item I was surprised to read that a Christian priest has sanctioned marriage between man to man. That was written there. I do not wish to discuss all those things. But people are degrading for want of this tapasya
- Our Krsna consciousness movement is to stop death. You will be surprised. You may not be very much pleased, but it is possible. It is possible. Because we are eternal. We living entities, soul, we are part and parcel of God, we are eternal
- Our students, they have very quickly given up the four principles of sinful activity. And that is actually surprising to all these so-called sannyasis also. They are surprised
- Pariksit Maharaja was surprised that Vrtrasura, whose purpose was to give trouble and anxiety to others, was one of these devotees, even on a battlefield. What was the reason for Vrtrasura's advancement
- People all over the world, when they see the westerners, "They are advanced." What is that? Advancing in animalism. Basic principle remains the animalism. They become surprised. They also imitate
- People are surprised sometimes that "These people do not work, do not take any profession, simply chant Hare Krsna. How they live?" So that is no question
- People may be surprised that devotees like Prahlada Maharaja and Bali Maharaja could seek shelter of the side of the enemy, giving up the natural affinity for family, hearth and home
- People will be surprised that Lord Buddha is designated as atheist and still the Vaisnavas, they are offering their respectful prayers to Lord Visnu (Buddha)
- Please let me know why Sivananda is leaving Hamburg all of a sudden. I am surprised please enlighten me
- Prahlada Maharaja was surprised at the causeless mercy of the Supreme Lord (Nrsimhadeva), the Personality of Godhead
- Prahlada Maharaja who was surprised to see a saintly person adopting ajagara-vrtti and becoming very fat
- Prahlada was nonetheless surprised by how a bewildered soul thinks one person his enemy and another his friend
- Probably I (Kamsa) shall be sent to the hell where killers of brahmanas go. I am surprised, however, that the celestial prophecy has not come true. It is not only in human society that false propaganda is found
- Real religious principles are nistraigunya, above the three modes of material nature, or transcendental. The Yamadutas did not know these transcendental religious principles, and therefore when prevented from arresting Ajamila they were surprised
- Recently we were surprised to see, while walking in Central park in New York City, that a group of young American boys and girls were engaged in worshiping hogs
- Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya was very surprised to see the personal beauty of Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu, as well as the transcendental transformations wrought on His body due to love of Godhead
- Seeing the dog eating the green coconut pulp and chanting "Krsna, Krsna" again and again, all the devotees present were very surprised
- She (Suruci) must have been very surprised when she learned that Dhruva Maharaja, by concentrating constantly on the SPG within his heart, could press down the entire earth, like an elephant who presses down the boat on which it is loaded
- Since Gitopanisad is largely based on the principles of the Upanisads, it is not surprising to also find this passage (BG 2.29) in the Katha Upanisad. BG 1972 purports
- Since there must always be a difference of opinion between demons and devotees, Hiranyakasipu, when criticized by his son Prahlada Maharaja, should not have been surprised that Prahlada Maharaja differed from his way of life
- Sometimes I become surprised how I have written this. Although I am the writer, still sometimes I am surprised how these things have come. Such vivid description. Where is such literature throughout the whole world?
- Sometimes people are surprised to see young men and women take so seriously to the Krsna consciousness movement
- Sometimes when we hear that great sages and devotees go to the forest and engage themselves in devotional service or meditation, we become surprised: how can one live in the forest and not be taken care of by anyone
- Such a privilege (instead of entering hellish life, receiving sayujya-mukti) had been offered to Sisupala was not merely a story. Everyone saw it happen; there was no scarcity of evidence. How did it happen? Maharaja Yudhisthira was very much surprised
- Sukanya explained how her husband had received the beautiful body of a young man. When the King heard this he was very surprised, and in great pleasure he embraced his beloved daughter
- That a devotee (Jaya and Vijaya) should come into an atheistic family is surprising, but it is simply a show. After finishing their mock fighting, both the devotee and the Lord are again associated in the spiritual planets
- That a devotee should come into an atheistic family is surprising, but it is simply a show. After finishing their mock fighting, both the devotee and the Lord are again associated in the spiritual planets
- The brahmana (Sudama) was surprised to see his wife so beautiful, and in great affection and without saying a word he entered the palace with her
- The brahmanas were rather surprised to see such a great sannyasi touch a sudra, and they were also surprised to see Ramananda Raya, who was a great governor and practically king of that province, crying simply by touching a sannyasi
- The brahmanas were surprised to see them (Lord Caitanya and Ramananda Raya) embracing in transcendental ecstasy. The brahmanas were all stalwart followers of the rituals, and they could not understand the meaning of such devotional symptoms
- The hunter, he was following the instruction of his Guru Maharaja, Narada Muni, chanting Hare Krsna and sitting very peacefully. So people would come, and they were surprised. So, so many people came - heaps of ata, heaps of rice, heaps of vegetables
- The King answered in surprise, "I did not know about all this. Why should his life be taken? I only want the money from him"
- The King had called him to carry his palanquin, but when the King heard from paramahamsa Jada Bharata about the supreme philosophy, he expressed surprise and asked Jada Bharata how he had attained such great liberation
- The learned sage was quite fat and Prahlada Maharaja was very much surprised. Because of being experienced in self-realization, a transcendentalist certainly becomes bright-faced
- The less intelligent man is surprised to see the wonderful actions of material phenomena, as the aborigines are fearful of a great thunderbolt, a great and gigantic banyan tree, or a great lofty mountain in the jungle
- The members of the KC movement, being engaged in vasudeva-bhakti, very quickly come to the stage of being nice Vaisnavas, so much so that people are surprised that mlecchas and yavanas are able to come to this stage. This is possible by vasudeva-bhakti
- The mothers were actually more anxious to feed the older calves, although the new calves were present, because the older calves were expansions of Krsna. These surprising events were taking place by the manipulation of yogamaya
- The mundane wranglers are surprised that one can detach himself from the world of sense gratification, and thus any attempt to be fixed in God realization appears to them to be mysticism
- The ordinary man is surprised to see the inventions of a great scientist, but the statement of Jambavan confirms that although a scientist may be a creator of many wonderful things, Krsna is the creator of the scientist
- The residents of Mathura were surprised at the pious activities the cowherd men in Vrndavana must have performed in their previous lives to be able to see Krsna and Balarama daily as cowherd boys
- The sages said, "We are surprised to see Your behavior, which is just like that of an ordinary human being and which conceals Your real identity as the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and we therefore consider Your pastimes to be all-wonderful"
- The sages, therefore, were surprised to see that the two doormen who checked them from entering the palace were not exactly like the residents of Vaikunthaloka
- The servants were so careful that a male could not even see what was going on there, & so they were surprised that she (Usa) had become contaminated. Since they could not trace out the reason for it, they submitted the whole situation before their master
- The Visnudutas were also surprised that the Yamadutas, although claiming to be servants of Yamaraja, the supreme judge of religious principles, were unaware of the principles of religious action
- The Yamadutas were surprised to see that the Visnudutas, although polite, were hindering the rule of Yamaraja
- These calves were grown up, but still the mothers wanted to feed them. Therefore Balarama was a little surprised, and He wanted to inquire from Krsna about the reason for their behavior
- They (the Mayavadi philosophers) were surprised to see Lord Caitanya after He accepted His sannyasa order from Kesava Bharati, for Kesava Bharati belonged to the Mayavadi school
- This (all of us are servants of the Supreme Lord) had already been taught to Prahlada Maharaja by his spiritual master, Narada, but Prahlada was nonetheless surprised by how a bewildered soul thinks one person his enemy and another his friend
- This is civilization. Although they are advertised so much, becoming very, very rich, but they're unable to maintain the family. I was surprised
- This politician was surprised, that "Oh, you are publishing daily a Bengali paper?" "Yes. Why you are surprised?" He was surprised. He was politician. He was thinking that "What one may speak of God, or Krsna, daily in a paper?" He was surprised
- This Ratha-yatra, Radha-Govinda seva, prasada distribution. Only the new thing I am doing-writing of books by the order of Guru Maharaja. Otherwise, whatever I have introduced, I was trained up in childhood. I simply imitated. I am simply surprised
- This verse (SB 2.7.47) was spoken by Lord Brahma when he was questioned by the great sage Narada. Narada was surprised to see the creator of the universe meditating, for this indicated there might be someone greater than Lord Brahma
- This woman (Mayavati) was surprised to see how such a nice baby (Pradyumna) could remain within the belly of a fish, and the situation perplexed her
- Those who are not in full knowledge that the appearance and disappearance of the Lord are transcendental (janma karma ca me divyam (BG 4.9)) are sometimes surprised that the Supreme Personality of Godhead can take birth like an ordinary child
- Thus Lord Siva could understand his position and that of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who has unlimited potencies. Having reached this understanding, he was not at all surprised by the wonderful way Lord Visnu had acted upon him
- To their (the Yamadutas) surprise, his (Yamaraja's) order had been violated by the four wonderful persons from Siddhaloka
- We are sometimes surprised that a mortal body can live for such a long time. The explanation of this longevity is given here by the word yoga-siddha
- We have to rectify by arrangement and agreement. I am simply surprised how you all GBC men agreed to give him $4000 per month. So the mistake has been made, now it has to be corrected by other ways
- When forbidden to touch Ajamila, the order carriers of Yamaraja were surprised because they had never been hindered in the execution of their duty by anyone within the three worlds
- When King Rahugana expressed surprise upon seeing King Bharata's spiritual achievements, Bharata replied: My dear Rahugana, no one can attain the perfected stage of devotional service without being favored by a great soul or a pure devotee
- When Krsna inquired from His servant which Brahma was at the door to visit, Lord Brahma was surprised. He replied that of course Lord Brahma, the father of the four Kumaras, was waiting at the door
- When the doorman asked, 'Which Brahma? Lord Brahma was surprised. He told the doorman, Please go inform Lord Krsna that I am the four-headed Brahma who is the father of the four Kumaras
- When the people arrived, they were very pleased to see the beauty of Gopala, and when they heard that He had actually walked there, they were all surprised
- When the Supreme Personality of Godhead appears, He accepts His eternal father and mother, and they accept Krsna as their son. This pastime takes place eternally and is therefore called nitya-lila. Thus there was no cause for surprise or ridicule
- When these American devotees go to India, the Indian people are surprised to see that Americans have become so mad after God
- When Vallabha Bhatta saw all the devotees of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, he was greatly surprised, and in devotion he offered his obeisances at the lotus feet of each and every one of them
- When we take into account that the moon is 100,000 yojanas, or 800,000 miles, above the rays of the sunshine, it is very surprising that the modern excursions to the moon could be possible
- While the devotees enjoy spiritual bliss, the nondevotees are surprised that the devotees have forgotten material hankerings
- You have to introduce real human civilization. You should not be surprised, an animal, in different shapes, in different capacity, comes out. After all, he is an animal. The basic principle is animalism. Because he is thinking, "I am this body..."
- You will be surprised to know that Lord Caitanya had a very poor friend. In His childhood He had a poor friend. His name was Sridhara. His income was daily, in those days, five hundred years before, his income was, say, about five cent daily