pilgrimage | pilgrimages
Subcategories Pages in category
This category has the following 6 subcategories, out of 6 total.
Pages in category "Pilgrimage"
The following 70 pages are in this category, out of 70 total.
- A human being who considers the land of his birth worshipable, and who goes to a place of pilgrimage simply to bathe rather than to meet men of transcendental knowledge there, is to be considered like a cow or an ass
- A pilgrimage site becomes a holy place because of the presence of the saintly persons
- Advaita Acarya replied, "Sir, You are a mendicant traveling on pilgrimage. Sometimes You eat fruits and roots, and sometimes You simply go on fasting"
- After receiving instruction from Narada, the demon Vrkasura went to Kedaranatha. The pilgrimage site of Kedaranatha still exists near Kashmir
- After retiring from active life and accepting the vanaprastha (retired) order, one should travel everywhere to places of pilgrimage in order to purify himself. Vidura completely discharged this duty, and at last he reached Kusavarta, or Hardwar
- After visiting Karttikeya, Lord Balarama gradually proceeded to Sailapura, a pilgrimage city in the province of Maharastra. Sailapura is one of the biggest districts in Maharastra province
- Anyone who is fixed in the service of the lotus feet of Govinda is called tirtha-pada; he does not need to travel on various pilgrimages, for he can enjoy all the benefits of such travel simply by engaging in the service of the lotus feet of the Lord
- At age fifty the husband entrusts the family affairs to some of his sons who are family men, and he and his wife go on pilgrimage to the holy places in order to forget family attachments
- At that time all the great minds and thinkers, accompanied by their disciples, and sages who could verily sanctify a place of pilgrimage just by their presence, arrived there on the plea of making a pilgrim's journey
- Balarama said, "The Ganges water inundates the whole world, and since it emanates from His lotus feet, its banks have turned into great places of pilgrimage"
- Being addicted to stealing, the thief began making plans to steal the other pilgrims' baggage, but he thought - I'm going on a pilgrimage, so it doesn't seem appropriate that I should steal this baggage. No, I shall not do it
- Devotees used to go to forests, high hills or mountains on pilgrimages, but such severe austerities are not possible in these days. One should instead eat only prasada and no more than required
- Dhrtarastra said: O Sanjaya, after assembling in the place of pilgrimage at Kuruksetra, what did my sons and the sons of Pandu do, being desirous to fight? BG 1.1 - 1972
- Dressing like human beings on pilgrimage, they all used to come to Jagannatha Puri to visit Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Even at the present moment the guides in the pilgrimage sites of India submit a complete account of genealogical tables before a newcomer. This wonderful act sometimes attracts more customers to receive such important information
- Everyone is obliged to repay the debt of gratitude. The Yadus who went to the Prabhasa pilgrimage site performed their duties by distributing land, gold, and well-nourished cows in royal charity, as described in the following verse - SB 3.3.26
- Extending to the borders of the river Sindhu and the Himalayan Mountain valleys, these two branches expanded throughout India, including all the places of pilgrimage, such as Vrndavana, Mathura and Haridvara
- He (Lord Balarama) also took His bath there and performed the Vedic ritualistic ceremonies. He continued His travels and gradually came to the pilgrimage city of Gaya, where there is a celebrated Visnu temple
- He (the thief who went on a pilgrimage to a holy town) does not want to commit theft anymore, but because he is habituated, sometimes he does
- Hearing of this, Visvarupa immediately left home and went away to accept sannyasa and travel from one place of pilgrimage to another
- How does he (who is trained in KC from childhood) start giving it (materialistic way of life) up? The husband and wife leave home & travel together on pilgrimage. If from 25 to 50 one remains in family life, one should have some grown-up children
- If you send such articles of different pilgrimages, that will be also a great service. You have got artistic idea, so please take courage and act enthusiastically
- In accordance with the directions of the revealed scriptures, both Gosvamis excavated the lost places of pilgrimage and inaugurated the worship of Deities in Vrndavana
- In every religion there is recommendation to go to the place, holy places of pilgrimage. This is one set-up. Another set-up is that bhagavatas tirtha-bhutah. Those who are devotees, they are themselves maha-bhagavata. They are first-class devotee
- In my Srimad-Bhagavatam it is written Sri Sailam. At that time it was known as Sailapura, and now it is known as Solapura. It is still a pilgrimage in Mahar, and because Balaramaji was traveling in South India, this is Solapura is in South India
- In the Brahmanda Purana it is said that all the results of traveling on all the pilgrimages within the three worlds can be achieved simply by touching the holy land of Mathura
- In this regard (one progresses in executing KC, his bad habits diminish, & he attains to saintly perfection) there is the story of a thief who went on a pilgrimage to a holy town, and on route he and the other pilgrims stopped to rest overnight at an inn
- In Vrndavana there is a place where there was no temple, but a devotee desired, Let there be a temple and seva, devotional service. Therefore, what was once an empty corner has now become a place of pilgrimage. Such are the desires of a devotee
- Janamejaya celebrated several sacrifices in the Kuruksetra pilgrimage site, and he had three younger brothers named Srutasena, Ugrasena and Bhimasena II
- Jaya Govinda, your article "Hrshikesa'' is published in Back To Godhead. It has come out very nice. If you send such articles of different pilgrimages, that will be also a great service
- Lord Balarama next came to the bank of the river Narmada, the biggest river in central India. On the bank of this sacred Narmada is a pilgrimage spot known as Mahismati-puri
- Lord Visnu said, "You are so pure and great that the water which washes your feet can purify even the places of pilgrimage. Therefore, I request you to purify the Vaikuntha planet where I live with My associates"
- On the bank of the river Bhimarathi is the deity called Svami Karttikeya. After visiting Karttikeya, Lord Balarama gradually proceeded to Sailapura, a pilgrimage city in the province of Maharastra
- One who cooks foodstuffs for maintenance of his body takes in all kinds of sins, which lead only to suffering. foodstuffs prepared by the Yadus at the Prabhasa pilgrimage site to offer to the bona fide brahmanas there were all offered to the PG, Visnu
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu bathed the body of Haridasa Thakura in the sea and then declared, "From this day on, this sea has become a great pilgrimage site"
- Sri Suta Gosvami said: While traveling on a pilgrimage, Vidura received knowledge of the destination of the self from the great sage Maitreya and then returned to Hastinapura. He became as well versed in the subject as he desired
- Srila Nityananda Prabhu, as Avadhuta, traveled on many pilgrimages, and when He first came to Sri Navadvipa-dhama He remained hidden in the house of Nandana Acarya
- Srila Rupa Gosvami and Sanatana Gosvami collected many revealed scriptures, and from the evidence in those scriptures they excavated all the lost sites of pilgrimage. Thus they established temples for the worship of Lord Krsna
- Srutadeva thought, "How has it become possible that Lord Krsna, who is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and His associates, the great sages, whose very presence makes a place as sanctified as a pilgrimage site, have agreed to come to my place"
- Sukadeva Gosvami informed the King that Uddhava, being instructed by SPG, who is the source of all Vedic knowledge & the SM of the three worlds, reached the pilgrimage site of Badarikasrama & engaged himself there in trance to satisfy the Lord
- The beauty of such a pilgrimage site (Vrndavana and Mathura) is that automatically one remembers the holy glories of the Lord
- The behavior exhibited by the descendants of Yadu in the pilgrimage site of Prabhasa was highly cultured and exactly to the point of human perfection
- The inhabitants of Vrndavana, under the leadership of Nanda Maharaja, once went to the bank of the Sarasvati on a pilgrimage. Nanda Maharaja was fasting, and he lay down near the forest. At that time a serpent, who was cursed by Angirasa Rsi, appeared
- The kuru-ksetra is a pilgrimage, dharma-ksetra. Still it is. There is a railway station of the name Kuruksetra, and that Kuruksetra place is very big field
- The pilgrimage site of Kedaranatha still exists near Kashmir. It is almost always covered by snow, but for part of the year, during the month of July, it is possible to see the deity, and devotees go there to offer their respects
- The purpose of pilgrimages is to remember the Lord constantly, and therefore the Lord is known as tirtha-kirti
- The rsis headed by Saunaka were more anxious to know about Vidura, who met Maitreya Rsi while traveling to the pilgrimage sites of the world
- The Samanta-pancaka pilgrimage site is celebrated because Lord Parasurama performed great sacrifices there after killing all the ksatriyas in the world twenty-one times
- The story of the deliverance of brahmana is as follows. A brahmana who was touring all over the country, traveling from one place of pilgrimage to another, reached Navadvipa and became a guest in the house of Jagannatha Misra
- The very purifying potency of pilgrimages or worship of different demigods is also achieved by the grace of saintly persons
- The words virajas tirtha-sevaya refer to Vidura, who was completely cleansed of all contamination by traveling to places of pilgrimage
- They (the great sages) came to meet Maharaja Pariksit and not to take a bath of pilgrimage because all of them were competent enough to sanctify the places of pilgrimage
- They may go sometimes. Just like in India, they used to live locally, but at the same time they used to go to the pilgrimages by walking. It is not prohibited that one should not go out, but when one goes out, he goes out of pleasure, not as obligation
- This (the disagreement between Dhrtarastra and Vidura) resulted in Vidura's leaving home for pilgrimage and taking instructions from Maitreya
- This particular pilgrimage site (Badarikasrama) is very difficult to visit for ordinary men because of its difficult situation in the Himalayas in a place which is covered by ice almost all year
- Those who are not so advanced have the prescribed duties of visiting pilgrimage sites and regularly performing the rituals
- Vidura was certainly very mortified by the death of his brother and sister-in-law, and the only remedy to mitigate such lamentation was to go out to pilgrimage. Thus Maharaja Yudhisthira had no chance to call back Vidura, his surviving uncle
- Vidura, being affected with delight and grief, will then leave that place of sacred pilgrimage
- Vidura, while on pilgrimage, left his body at Prabhasa. Because he was absorbed in thought of Lord Krsna, he was received by the denizens of Pitrloka planet, where he returned to his original post
- When Krsna arrived at Kuruksetra in pilgrimage, all the people assembled there began to say that Krsna the son of Devaki had arrived
- When Maharaja Pariksit sat down on the bank of the Ganges, the news spread in all directions of the universe, and the great-minded sages, who could follow the importance of the occasion, all arrived there on the plea of pilgrimage
- While traveling on the surface of the earth, how did you (Vidura) maintain your livelihood? At which holy places and pilgrimage sites did you render service?
- Who in human society can be satisfied without hearing sufficient talk of the Lord, whose lotus feet are the sum total of all places of pilgrimage and who is worshiped by great sages and devotees?