afflict | afflicted | afflicting | affliction | afflictions | afflicts
Subcategories Pages in category
This category has the following 9 subcategories, out of 9 total.
- ► Caitanya's Afflictions (2 P)
- ► Krsna's Affliction (4 P)
- ► Radharani's Afflictions (4 P)
Pages in category "Afflicted"
The following 97 pages are in this category, out of 97 total.
- Advaita Acarya said: "Formerly Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu always respected Me as His senior, but I did not like such respect. Therefore, My mind being afflicted by unhappiness, I made a plan"
- Afflicted by a poor fund of knowledge, you do not know that even if you lament for your dead husband for hundreds of years, you will never get him back alive, and in the meantime your lives will be finished
- After discussing with Vidura the transcendental name, fame, qualities, etc., on the bank of the Yamuna, Uddhava was overwhelmed with great affliction. He passed the night as if it were a moment, and thereafter he went away
- After hearing such enlightening instructions from Sri Balarama, Rukmini immediately became pacified and happy and adjusted her mind, which was very much afflicted by the degraded position of her brother Rukmi
- After the departure of Dhruva Maharaja from the palace, the King (Uttanapada) was very afflicted, but by the kind words of Saint Narada he was partially satisfied
- All living entities, the human beings, who are afflicted by Kali-yuga, as well as sub-human beings, must be drowned in the floodwaters of krsna-prema
- All the cows and cowherd boys became so afflicted by the wind and cold that they all gathered together to take shelter under the lotus feet of Krsna. This is an instance of emotion caused by severe rainfall
- Although the tongue of one afflicted by the jaundice of avidya (ignorance) cannot taste anything sweet, it is wonderful that simply by carefully chanting these sweet names every day, a natural relish awakens within his tongue
- Anyone who is fixed in the transcendental service of the Lord has surpassed all the material qualities and is situated in the status of Brahman realization, in which one is not afflicted by hankering for material objects
- As Hiranyakasipu moved his limbs here, there & all around, very much afflicted at being captured, Nrsimhadeva placed the demon on His lap, supporting him with His thighs, & in the doorway of the assembly hall the Lord very easily tore the demon to pieces
- As stated in Srimad-Bhagavatam, kamam hrd-rogam. Materialistic life means that one is afflicted by a formidable disease called lusty desire
- At this time, King Daksa, afflicted by love and affection, was very much awakened to his real senses. With great endeavor, he pacified his mind, checked his feelings, and with pure consciousness began to offer prayers to Lord Siva
- Because of bad water in the Jharikhanda forest and because of fasting, Sanatana Gosvami contracted a disease that made his body itch. Thus he was afflicted with itching sores from which fluid oozed
- Because we have forgotten our identities and are considering the body to be the self, we are afflicted by all the troubles of birth, death, old age and disease
- Being afflicted by the arrow of Cupid and unhappily regretting His mistreating Srimati Radharani, Madhava, Lord Krsna, began to search for Her along the banks of the Yamuna River
- By overeating, an ordinary human being becomes prone to a disease called amla-pitta, which is a product of indigestion characterized by acidity of the stomach. Damayanti thought that such a condition would afflict Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Dear Krsna, because of their separation from You, the inhabitants of Vraja are so afflicted that they appear to be diseased. Their bodies are feverish, and they cannot move properly. They are simply lying down on the ground and breathing heavily
- Devahuti was not very much affected while Kapila Muni was there, but upon His departure she was very afflicted. She grieved not because of her worldly relationship with Kardama Muni but because of her sincere love for the Personality of Godhead
- Dhruva Maharaja was already a liberated person because at the age of five years he had seen God. But even though liberated, he was, for the time being, afflicted by the illusion of maya, thinking himself the brother of Uttama in the bodily concept of life
- Dhruva Maharaja was indirectly advised not to be afflicted by the death of his brother because our relationship with the body is completely material. The real self, spirit soul, is never annihilated or killed by anyone
- Diti, daughter of Daksa, being afflicted with sex desire, begged her husband, Kasyapa, the son of Marici, to have intercourse with her in the evening in order to beget a child
- Elephants afflicted by a forest fire become very happy when they get water from the Ganges. Similarly, O my Lord, from whose navel grows a lotus flower, since You have now appeared before us, we have become transcendentally happy
- Even before reaching Andhatamisra, the sinful living being is subjected to various extreme miseries. These afflictions are so severe that he loses his intelligence and sight. It is for this reason that learned sages call this hell Andhatamisra
- Every living entity within this material world is always afflicted by some kind of miseries, pertaining either to the body, the mind or natural disturbances
- He (Arjuna) was afflicted with the thought of getting Subhadra and had not a moment’s peace of mind
- He (God) is transcendental to all material afflictions because He is full with all six opulences, namely wealth, power, fame, beauty, knowledge and renunciation, and thus He is the master of the senses
- He is whipped on the back by the constables because of his inability to walk, and he is afflicted by hunger and thirst, but unfortunately there is no drinking water, no shelter and no place for rest on the road
- If one chants the holy name of Hari and then dies because of an accidental misfortune, such as being bitten by a serpent, being afflicted with pain and high fever, one is immediately absolved from having to enter hellish life, even though he is sinful
- In Diti's appeal to her husband for sex, it was not exactly that she was afflicted by sex desires, but she desired sons. Since she had no sons, she felt poorer than her co-wives. Therefore Kasyapa was supposed to satisfy his bona fide wife
- Indra saw personified sinful reaction chasing him, appearing like a candala woman, woman of the low class. She seemed very old & all the limbs of her body trembled. Because she was afflicted with tuberculosis, her body & garments were covered with blood
- Kasyapa Muni was surely sympathetic to his wife's affliction, yet he was surprised at how the whole world is influenced by affection
- Kasyapa was engaged in his spiritual activities, but he did not have sufficient strength to refuse his wife, who was thus afflicted (by the lust of sex desire)
- Knowing His mother to be greatly afflicted by separation from Him, the Lord would send Jagadananda Pandita to Navadvipa every year to console her
- Krsna said, " My dear gopis, I request that instead of being afflicted, you try to accept everything with a philosophical attitude"
- Krsna said, "Do not be afraid of the hill and think that it will fall from My hand. You have been too much afflicted from the heavy rain and strong wind; therefore I have lifted this hill, which will protect you exactly like a huge umbrella"
- Lord Caitanya, has appeared in Kali-yuga to shower His kindness upon the afflicted souls. The extent of the Supreme Lord's mercy is decidedly more generous in this age than in any other
- Lord Siva was especially sorry because he had recently lost his dear wife and was also very much afflicted by the unkind words of Daksa. Under the circumstances, Lord Brahma suggested, it would behoove them (the demigods) to go at once and beg his pardon
- Maya's function is to give afflictions to the nondevotees
- Mukunda sang, "My dear intimate friend! What has not happened to Me! Due to the effects of the poison of love for Krsna, My body and mind have been severely afflicted"
- My (Brahma's) Lord, You (the Personality of Godhead) are the only one capable of ending the affliction of the distressed and inflicting agony on those who never resort to Your feet
- My (Manu) dear Dhruva, at the age of only five years you were very grievously afflicted by the words of your mother's co-wife, and you very boldly gave up the protection of your mother and went to the forest to engage in the yogic process
- My dear nephew, I am Your maternal uncle in our village relationship. Please see how greatly this attack of leprosy has afflicted me
- My predecessors, Vaisnavas, they were so generous that they felt very much afflicted for the suffering of the human society. Sri Rupa Goswami tried to elevate them to real path of happiness by introducing this Govinda Ganamrta
- Narayana is certainly situated in everyone's heart, but He is neither poor nor rich. Only unscrupulous persons who do not know the opulence of Narayana try to afflict Him with poverty
- Not only are saintly persons afflicted by this (animal) killing, but even God Himself is afflicted and therefore comes down in the incarnation of Lord Buddha
- O afflicted one, I shall forthwith gratify whatever desire is dear to you, for who else but you is the source of the three perfections of liberation?
- O hero (Vidura), Diti, being thus afflicted by the contamination of lust, and therefore poor and talkative, was pacified by the son of Marici in suitable words
- O Lord, remover of the afflictions of the inhabitants of Vrndavana! O hero of all women! O Lord who destroy the pride of Your devotees by Your sweet, gentle smile! O friend! We are Your maidservants
- One gopi said, "Wives of the demigods who are seated in the planes then become very much ashamed of their singing and musical qualifications. Not only that, but they become afflicted with conjugal love, & their hair & tight clothes immediately loosen"
- One should then further progress to the platform of sannyasa, the actual renounced order, never to fall again and be afflicted by materialistic life. Even though one desires to be liberated, this does not mean he is liberated
- Our path is genuine sublime and easy. So there must be an world wide organization for pushing the movement in the Human society so much afflicted by material advancement only. This is only medium to save the people from ruination
- Satrajit was eager to get relief from the anxiety he had foolishly created due to being attracted by a material thing, specifically the Syamantaka jewel. Truly afflicted by the offense he had committed against Krsna, he sincerely wanted to rectify it
- Satyabhama said, "My dear Draupadi, my father was very much afflicted by the death of his brother, Prasena, and he falsely accused Lord Krsna of killing his brother and stealing the Syamantaka jewel, which had actually been taken by Jambavan"
- Shaking and very much afflicted, she looked at her uncommon husband, Lord Siva, as if she were going to blast him with her vision
- Simply upon hearing the word daksayani, Sati felt afflicted because of reference to the context because her body was the symbol of all offensiveness with which Daksa was endowed. Since her body was a source of unhappiness, she decided to give it up
- Sinful men who have sexual connections with the wife of a superior are afflicted by leprosy and similar skin diseases
- Sometimes we want to forget ourself by transferring ourself into that deep sleep, forgetting everything. Actually, that is our natural tendency. When we are too much afflicted with these material activities, anxieties
- Striking their breasts in affliction because their husbands had been killed by the arrows of Laksmana, the women embraced their respective husbands and cried piteously in voices appealing to everyone
- Sukadeva Gosvami said, "Being greatly afflicted by affection for the transcendental Lord, fell down upon His lotus feet to offer respectful obeisances"
- Sukadeva Gosvami said: O King, after thus discussing with Vidura the transcendental name, fame, qualities, etc, on the bank of the Yamuna, Uddhava was overwhelmed with great affliction. He passed the night as if it were a moment & thereafter he went away
- Svarupa Damodara replied, "It is the nature of a girl afflicted by love to become immediately angry upon finding any neglect on the part of her lover"
- The demigods, afflicted on one side by the fighting demons and on the other by the curse of Durvasa Muni, lost all the material opulences in the three worlds
- The gopis were very much afflicted because they saw Krsna walking on the sand and thought that Krsna's lotus feet were being pierced by broken chips of stone. Thinking of this, the gopis were affected, and they cried at home
- The gopis were very much afflicted because they saw Krsna walking on the sand and thought that Krsna's lotus feet, which they dared not place on their breasts because they thought their breasts not soft enough, were being pierced by broken chips of stone
- The material body is always afflicted with the lack of these (eternity, freedom from material modes, and freedom from reactions of fruitive activities) three qualities
- The question raised here is whether or not a person afflicted by material desires is fit to worship the Supreme Personality of Godhead. The answer is that everyone is fit to worship Him
- The scattered hair of a beautiful woman also afflicts the heart of a lusty demon
- The smrti-sastras say, "Murderers of brahmanas are later afflicted by tuberculosis, drunkards become toothless, and those who have stolen gold are afflicted by diseased nails"
- They (the cowherd boys) immediately approached Krsna and Balarama and said, "Dear Krsna and Balarama, You are both all-powerful; You can kill many, many demons, but today we are much afflicted with hunger, and this is disturbing us"
- They are not afflicted by old age, disease or untimely death, they do not suffer from chilly cold or scorching heat, nor do their bodies lose their luster. They all live very happily, without anxieties, until death
- Those who are afflicted by a combination of anxieties cannot understand the Hare Krsna mantra, which is free from all anxiety
- Thus being pierced by arrows through his ears and afflicted to the core of his heart, Vidura placed his bow on the door and quit his brother's palace. He was not sorry, for he considered the acts of the external energy to be supreme
- Thus he remains at home just like a pet dog & eats whatever is so negligently given to him. Afflicted with many illnesses, such as dyspepsia and loss of appetite, he eats only very small morsels of food, & he becomes an invalid, who cannot work any more
- Thus surrounded by his associates, who were afflicted by thirst, he soon arrived at the bank of the lake
- To enjoy material facilities is to be afflicted with the three material miseries
- When a man or woman is afflicted by the lust of sex desire, it is to be understood as sinful contamination
- When a person is afflicted with tuberculosis, he often vomits blood, which makes his garments bloody
- When Durvasa, who was greatly afflicted by the blazing fire of the Sudarsana cakra, was thus refused by Lord Brahma, he tried to take shelter of Lord Siva, who always resides on his planet, known as Kailasa
- When Krsna left the village for the pasturing grounds, where He tended the cows and calves, the gopis were very much afflicted because they saw Krsna walking on the sand and thought that Krsna's lotus feet were being pierced by broken chips of stone
- When Lord Krsna went to the capital of King Yudhisthira, Uddhava was so afflicted by the fire of separation from Sri Krsna that the perspiring water from his enflamed body and the tears from his eyes poured from him
- When Sri Krsna left the city of Dvaraka to seek out the Syamantaka jewel, He was late returning home. Uddhava became so afflicted that the symptoms of disease became manifest on his body
- When the eyes lose their power to see color or form due to morbid affliction of the optic nerve, the sense of sight becomes deadened. The living entity, who is the seer of both the eyes and the sight, loses his power of vision
- When the heart is overly afflicted, the meditative mind, like a fishing hook, is gradually separated from the object of meditation
- Where is my (Yudhisthira) well-wisher, uncle Vidura, and mother Gandhari, who is very afflicted due to all her sons' demise?
- Wherever an advanced devotee is insulted, for one man’s fault the entire town or place is afflicted
- While Krsna was enjoying the company of the gopis in the rasa dance, the astonished demigods and their wives gathered in the sky. The moon, being afflicted with a sort of lust, began to watch the dance and became stunned with wonder
- While observing the situation of his enemy, Arjuna stood up on the chariot, but he was so afflicted with lamentation that he sat down again, setting aside his bow and arrows. BG 1972 purports