Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Antya-lila Chapter 07 - The Meeting of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and Vallabha Bhatta
Pages in category "Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Antya-lila Chapter 07 - The Meeting of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and Vallabha Bhatta"
The following 164 pages are in this category, out of 164 total.
- All glories to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu! All glories to Nityananda Prabhu! All glories to Advaita Acarya! And all glories to all the devotees of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Praying at the lotus feet of Sri Rupa and Sri Raghunatha, always desiring their mercy, I, Krsnadasa, narrate Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, following in their footsteps - Antya-lila
- Abandoning your offenses, chant the Hare Krsna maha-mantra, the holy names of the Lord. Then very soon you will achieve shelter at the lotus feet of Krsna
- Acaryaratna, Acaryanidhi, Gadadhara Pandita, Jagadananda, Damodara, Sankara, Vakresvara, Kasisvara, Mukunda, Vasudeva, Murari and many other devotees have descended in Bengal to preach to everyone the glories of the holy name of Krsna
- Accepting the prasadam, all the Vaisnavas chanted the holy names "Hari! Hari!" The rising vibration of the holy name of Hari filled the entire universe
- Advaita Acarya responded, "In front of you is Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, the personification of religious principles. You should ask Him, for He will give you the proper answer"
- After saying this, Gadadhara Pandita went to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and fell down crying at the lotus feet of the Lord
- After saying this, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu became very grave. All the devotees present derived great satisfaction from hearing this statement
- All glories to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu! All glories to Nityananda Prabhu! All glories to Advaitacandra! And all glories to all the devotees of Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- All the sannyasi associates of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, headed by Paramananda Puri, sat on one side and thus partook of the prasadam
- Although Gadadhara Pandita Gosani did not want to hear it, Vallabha Bhatta began to read his explanation with great force
- Although Gadadhara Pandita Gosani was not in the least at fault, some of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's devotees showed affectionate anger toward him
- An ignorant living being does not recognize his actual profit. Because of ignorance and material pride, he sometimes considers profit a loss, but when his pride is cut down he can actually see his true benefit
- Another day, Gadadhara Pandita invited Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu to dinner. The Lord took prasadam at his home with His personal associates
- Approaching him with great humility, Vallabha Bhatta said, "I have taken shelter of you, my dear sir. Kindly be merciful to me and save my life"
- Ashamed, insulted and unhappy, Vallabha Bhatta went to Gadadhara Pandita
- At present they are all living here. Their residences are in various quarters. Here you will get the audience of them all
- Because Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu did not take Vallabha Bhatta very seriously, none of the people in Jagannatha Puri would hear any of his explanations
- Because Vallabha Bhatta was a learned brahmana, Gadadhara Pandita could not forbid him. Thus he began to think of Lord Krsna. "My dear Lord Krsna," he requested, "please protect me in this danger. I have taken shelter of You"
- Being omniscient, Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu could understand that Vallabha Bhatta's explanations of Krsna's name and Srimad-Bhagavatam were useless. Therefore He did not care about them
- Being very proud of my learning, I am thinking, 'Let me become victorious.' Sri Caitanya, however, is trying to purify me by nullifying this false pride, for a characteristic of the Supreme Personality of Godhead is that He acts for everyone's welfare
- By various hints and refutations, Lord Caitanya, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, corrected Vallabha Bhatta exactly as Krsna had cut down the false pride of Indra
- Even if a pure devotee sees the opulence of Krsna, he does not accept it. Therefore pure consciousness is more exalted than consciousness of the Lord's opulence
- Every day I am defeated in this assembly. If by chance I am one day victorious, that will be a great source of happiness for me, and all my shame will go away. But what means shall I adopt to establish my statements
- Every day, Vallabha Bhatta would come to the place of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu to engage in unnecessary arguments with Advaita Acarya and other great personalities, such as Svarupa Damodara
- Following this religious principle, a pure devotee of Lord Krsna always chants the holy name. As a result of this, he gets the fruit of ecstatic love for Krsna
- For this purpose Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu sometimes showed His apparent anger. Hearing of this anger inspired great fear in the heart of Gadadhara Pandita
- Fourteen mrdangas resounded with the loud congregational chanting, and in each group was a dancer whose dance of ecstatic love inundated the entire world
- Gadadhara Pandita Gosani said: "Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu is present in everyone's heart, and He will certainly know my mind. Therefore I do not fear Him. His associates, however, are extremely critical"
- Gadadhara Pandita is celebrated all over the world for his gentle behavior, his brahminical attributes and his steady love for Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Gadadhara Pandita said, "Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu is completely independent. He is the topmost omniscient personality. It would not look well for me to talk to Him as if I were His equal"
- Gadadhara Pandita's pure ecstatic love for Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu was also very deep. It was like that of Rukminidevi, who was always especially submissive to Krsna
- Haridasa Thakura, the teacher of the holy name, is the most exalted of all pure devotees. Every day he chants 300,000 holy names of the Lord
- He accepted my invitation with His other devotees, and He was kind to me. Why has He now changed so much here at Jagannatha Puri
- He is actually acting for my benefit, although I interpret His actions as insults. This is exactly like the incident in which Lord Krsna cut down Indra, the great, puffed-up fool, to correct him
- He is such a great personality that by His mercy He can convert even the meat-eaters (mlecchas) to the devotional service of Krsna. Who, therefore, can estimate the power of His Vaisnavism
- He is unparalleled in His understanding of all the revealed scriptures and the devotional service of Lord Krsna. Therefore He is called Advaita Acarya
- He said, "For a long time, i have desired to see You, my Lord. Now Lord Jagannatha has fulfilled this desire; therefore I am seeing You"
- He was surprised to see the brilliance of their faces. Indeed, among them Vallabha Bhatta seemed just like a glowworm
- Hearing this, Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, "My dear Vallabha Bhatta, you do not know religious principles. Actually, the first duty of a chaste woman is to carry out the order of her husband"
- Hearing this, Vallabha Bhatta was speechless. He returned home greatly unhappy and began to consider thus
- I am a great Vaisnava. Having learned all the conclusions of Vaisnava philosophy, I can understand the meaning of Srimad-Bhagavatam and explain it very well
- I am an ignorant fool, for I interpret as an insult what is meant for my benefit. In this way I am just like King Indra, who out of ignorance tried to surpass Krsna, the Supreme Lord
- I am completely dependent. My Lord is Gauracandra, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. I cannot do anything independently, without His order
- I am falsely proud, advertising myself as a learned scholar. Therefore Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu insults me just to favor me by cutting down this false pride
- I can tolerate whatever He says, bearing it upon my head. He will automatically be merciful to me after considering my faults and attributes
- I conclusively know these two names, Syamasundara and Yasodanandana. I do not understand any other meanings, nor have I the capacity to understand them
- I have learned about the glories of the Lord's holy name from Haridasa Thakura, and by his mercy I have understood these glories
- I have learned from them the meaning of devotional service to Krsna
- I have thus explained the Lord's meeting with Vallabha Bhatta. By hearing of this incident, one can achieve the treasure of love for Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- I have written some commentary on Srimad-Bhagavatam, he said. "Would Your Lordship kindly hear it"
- I simply sit and try to chant the holy name of Krsna, and although I chant all day and night, I nevertheless cannot complete the chanting of My prescribed number of rounds
- I wanted to agitate you, the Lord said, "but you did not become agitated. Indeed, you could not say anything in anger. Instead, you tolerated everything"
- In my commentary on Srimad-Bhagavatam, he said, "I have refuted the explanations of Sridhara Svami. I cannot accept his explanations"
- In pure Krsna consciousness, a friend mounts the shoulder of Krsna, and mother Yasoda binds the Lord
- In pure Krsna consciousness, without knowledge of the Lord's opulences, a devotee considers Krsna his friend or son. Therefore this devotional attitude is praised even by Sukadeva Gosvami and Vyasadeva, the supreme authority
- In the association of Gadadhara Pandita, his mind was converted, and he dedicated his mind to worshiping Kisora-gopala, Krsna as a young boy
- It is impossible to describe the influence and knowledge of Ramananda Raya, for only by his mercy have I understood the unalloyed love of the residents of Vrndavana
- It is the duty of a chaste wife, devoted to her husband, not to utter her husband's name, but all of you chant the name of Krsna. How can this be called a religious principle
- Let me be fortunate enough to become one of the bushes, creepers or herbs in Vrndavana, for the gopis trample them and bless them with the dust of their lotus feet
- Let me offer my respectful obeisances unto the devotees of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Simply by the causeless mercy of the devotees engaged in licking honey from His lotus feet, even a fallen soul becomes eternally liberated
- Lord Nityananda Prabhu, the avadhuta, is also directly the Supreme Personality of Godhead. He is always intoxicated with the madness of ecstatic love. Indeed, He is an ocean of love of Krsna
- Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu replied, "I do not accept many different meanings for the holy name of Krsna. I know only that Lord Krsna is Syamasundara and Yasodanandana. That's all I know"
- Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, "You are both a greatly learned scholar and a great devotee. Wherever there are two such attributes, there cannot be a mountain of false pride"
- Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu sometimes desired to see Gadadhara Pandita's affectionate anger, but because of his knowledge of the Lord's opulences, his anger was never invoked
- My dear Lord, I have committed offenses. Please excuse me. I seek shelter of You. Please be merciful unto me by placing Your lotus feet on my head
- My dear Lord, You are the Supreme Personality of Godhead. You have showed mercy to me in a way just befitting Your position by insulting me to cut down all my false pride
- My dear Lord, You have cured the blindness of my false pride by smearing my eyes with the ointment of Your mercy. You have bestowed so much mercy upon me that my ignorance is now gone
- My dear Vallabha Bhatta, your coming to me is not appreciated by Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Therefore He sometimes speaks to chastise me
- Nevertheless, My mind has become purified because I have associated with Advaita Acarya, who is directly the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- No one can describe the characteristics and ecstatic love of Gadadhara Pandita. Therefore another name for Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu is Gadadhara-prananatha, "the life and soul of Gadadhara Pandita"
- No one can say how merciful the Lord is to Gadadhara Pandita, but people know the Lord as Gadaira Gauranga, "the Lord Gauranga of Gadadhara Pandita"
- No one can understand the pastimes of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. They are like the Ganges, for hundreds and thousands of branches flow from even one of His activities
- Obsessed with pure love, without knowledge of opulences, the gopis sometimes chastise Krsna. That is a symptom of pure ecstatic love
- On the day of the car festival, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu began the congregational chanting. As He had done previously, He divided all the devotees into seven groups
- On the way, Svarupa Damodara said to Gadadhara Pandita, "Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu wanted to test you. Therefore He neglected you"
- One can immediately purify his entire house simply by remembering exalted personalities, to say nothing of directly seeing them, touching their lotus feet, washing their feet or offering them places to sit
- One cannot achieve shelter at the lotus feet of Krsna, the son of Maharaja Nanda, simply by knowing His opulences
- One day Vallabha Bhatta said to Advaita Acarya, "Every living entity is female (prakrti) and considers Krsna her husband (pati)"
- One day, after the festival was over, Vallabha Bhatta went to the abode of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and submitted a request at the lotus feet of the Lord
- One who comments on Srimad-Bhagavatam following in the footsteps of Sridhara Svami will be honored and accepted by everyone
- One who receives Your audience is fortunate indeed, for You are the Supreme Personality of Godhead Himself
- Please hear my explanation of the meaning of Lord Krsna's name. In that way the mud of the shame that has come upon me will be washed off
- Previously, in krsna-lila, when Lord Krsna joked with Rukminidevi, she took His words seriously, and fear awoke within her mind
- Put forth your explanation of Srimad-Bhagavatam following in the footsteps of Sridhara Svami. Giving up your false pride, worship the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krsna
- Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya has shown Me the limit of devotional service. Only by his mercy have I understood that devotional service to Krsna is the essence of all mystic yoga
- Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya perfectly knows the six philosophical theses. He is therefore the spiritual master of the entire world in teaching the six paths of philosophy. He is the best of devotees
- Seeing all this, Vallabha Bhatta was completely astonished. He was overwhelmed by transcendental bliss and lost himself
- Seeing the beauty of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and the awakening of His ecstatic love, Vallabha Bhatta concluded, "Here is Lord Krsna, without a doubt"
- Seven devotees - Advaita, Nityananda, Haridasa Thakura, Vakresvara, Srivasa Thakura, Raghava Pandita and Gadadhara Pandita - formed seven groups and began dancing. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, chanting "Haribol!" wandered from one group to another
- Since one who remembers You is purified, why should it be astonishing that one becomes purified by seeing You
- Smiling slightly, the Lord embraced him and spoke sweet words so that others would also hear
- Some days passed, and when Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, finally pleased with Vallabha Bhatta, accepted his invitation, the Lord sent Svarupa Damodara, Jagadananda Pandita and Govinda to call for Gadadhara Pandita
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu descended as an incarnation for the benefit of the entire world. Thus He knew the mind of Vallabha Bhatta very well
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu is always eager to see everyone in the material world happy. Therefore sometimes He chastises someone just to purify his heart
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu replied, "Although some of them live in Bengal and some in other states, they have all come here to see the Ratha-yatra festival"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu replied, "My dear Vallabha Bhatta, you are a learned scholar. Kindly listen to Me. I am a sannyasi of the Mayavada school. Therefore I have no chance of knowing what krsna-bhakti is"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu sat in the midst of the devotees. Advaita Acarya and Lord Nityananda each sat on one side of the Lord. The other devotees sat in front of the Lord and behind Him
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu smilingly replied, "One who does not accept the svami (husband) as an authority I consider a prostitute"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu was actually always merciful within His heart, but He was sometimes externally negligent of His devotees. We should not be preoccupied with His external feature, however, for if we do so we shall be vanquished
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, who had descended to deliver the entire universe, accepted the invitation of Vallabha Bhatta just to give him happiness
- Sridhara Svami is the spiritual master of the entire world because by his mercy we can understand Srimad-Bhagavatam. I (Caitanya Mahaprabhu) therefore accept him as a spiritual master
- Srila Ramananda Raya is the ultimate knower of the transcendental mellows of Lord Krsna's devotional service. He has instructed Me that Lord Krsna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- Such pride had existed for a long time within the mind of Vallabha Bhatta, but as he heard the preaching of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, his pride was cut down
- Svarupa Damodara, Jagadananda, Kasisvara and Sankara, along with Raghava and Damodara Pandita, took charge of distributing the prasadam
- The conjugal love of the gopis is the most exalted devotional service, surpassing all other methods of bhakti. Therefore Lord Krsna is obliged to say, 'My dear gopis, I cannot repay you. Indeed, I am always indebted to you'
- The devotees from Bengal, whom I am unable to count, all sat down in lines in the courtyard
- The fundamental religious system in the Age of Kali is the chanting of the holy name of Krsna. Unless empowered by Krsna, one cannot propagate the sankirtana movement
- The gopis of Vrndavana have given up the association of their husbands, sons and other family members, who are very difficult to give up, and they have forsaken the path of chastity to take shelter of the lotus feet of Mukunda, Krsna
- The Lord purified Vallabha Bhatta by cleansing him of the mud of false pride. By such activities the Lord also instructed others
- The Lord replied, "I do not understand the meaning of Srimad-Bhagavatam. Indeed, I am not a suitable person to hear its meaning"
- The next day when he came to the assembly of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, he sat down after offering obeisances to the Lord and said something with great pride
- The next day, when all the Vaisnavas came to the abode of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, the Lord introduced Vallabha Bhatta to them all
- The next year, all the devotees of Bengal went to visit Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, and as previously, the Lord met each and every one of them
- The ocean of ecstatic love for Krsna is very difficult to understand, even for such demigods as Lord Brahma. By enacting His pastimes, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu submerged Himself in that ocean, and His heart was absorbed in that love
- The only purport of the holy name of Krsna is that He is dark blue like a tamala tree and is the son of mother Yasoda. This is the conclusion of all the revealed scriptures
- The order of Krsna is to chant His name incessantly. Therefore one who is chaste and adherent to the husband Krsna must chant the Lord's name, for she cannot deny the husband's order
- The pastimes of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu are very deep. Who can understand them? Only one who has firm, deep devotion to His lotus feet can understand these pastimes
- The servant, friend, superior and conjugal lover are the shelters of the transcendental mellows called dasya, sakhya, vatsalya and srngara
- The transcendental mellows of ecstatic love are personified by Svarupa Damodara. By his association I have understood Vrndavana's transcendental mellow of conjugal love
- The unalloyed love of the gopis and Srimati Radharani is without any trace of material lust. The criterion of such transcendental love is that its only purpose is to satisfy Krsna
- The word 'atma-bhuta' means 'personal associates.' Through the understanding of the Lord's opulence, the goddess of fortune could not receive the shelter of Krsna, the son of Nanda Maharaja
- Then Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu stopped the dancing of the others, and as He had done previously, He personally began to dance
- Then Vallabha Bhatta brought in a great quantity of Lord Jagannatha's maha-prasadam and sumptuously fed Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and His associates
- There are two kinds of emotion (bhava). Emotion with an understanding of the Lord's full opulences is called aisvarya-jnana-yukta, and pure, uncontaminated emotion is called kevala
- There Vallabha Bhatta took permission from Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu, and his desire to be initiated by Gadadhara Pandita was thus fulfilled
- Thereafter, Vallabha Bhatta went to the home of Gadadhara Pandita. He kept coming and going, showing affection in various ways, and thus maintained a relationship with him
- Thereafter, with great submission and humility, Vallabha Bhatta invited Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu to dine at his home
- Thinking in this way, Vallabha Bhatta approached Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu the next morning, and in great humility, offering many prayers, he sought shelter and surrendered at the lotus feet of the Lord
- Through the mercy of Ramananda Raya, I have understood that ecstatic love of Krsna is the highest goal of life and that spontaneous love of Krsna is the highest perfection
- Thus Pandita Gosani fell into a dilemma. He was in such doubt that he could not decide alone what to do
- Thus Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu performed His pastimes with His devotees. Then a learned scholar named Vallabha Bhatta went to Jagannatha Puri to meet the Lord
- Thus Vallabha Bhatta witnessed the car festival. He was simply astonished by the characteristics of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Vallabha Bhatta Acarya requested Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, “If You are actually pleased with me, please accept my invitation once again"
- Vallabha Bhatta admitted, "I am a great fool, and indeed I have acted like a fool by trying to demonstrate my learning to You"
- Vallabha Bhatta had brought a large quantity of maha-prasadam offered to Lord Jagannatha. Thus all the sannyasis sat down to eat with Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Vallabha Bhatta said, "I have tried to describe elaborately the meaning of Krsna's holy name. Kindly hear the explanation"
- Vallabha Bhatta said, "Where do all these Vaisnavas live, and how can I see them"
- Vallabha Bhatta wanted to be initiated by Gadadhara Pandita, but Gadadhara Pandita refused, saying, "The work of acting as a spiritual master is not possible for me"
- Vallabha Bhatta was accustomed to worshiping the Lord as child Krsna. Therefore he had been initiated into the Bala-gopala mantra and was thus worshiping the Lord
- Whatever conclusions Vallabha Bhatta eagerly presented were refuted by personalities like Advaita Acarya
- Whatever Sridhara Svami reads he explains according to the circumstances. Therefore he is inconsistent in his explanations and cannot be accepted as an authority
- Whatever you might write due to false pride, trying to surpass Sridhara Svami, would carry a contrary purport. Therefore no one would pay attention to it
- When all the Vaisnavas had finished eating, Vallabha Bhatta brought a large quantity of garlands, sandalwood pulp, spices and betel. He worshiped the devotees very respectfully and became extremely happy
- When Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu rigidly declined to hear his explanations, Vallabha Bhatta went home feeling morose. His faith in the Lord and devotion to Him changed
- When Vallabha Bhatta arrived, he offered his obeisances at the lotus feet of the Lord. Accepting him as a great devotee, the Lord embraced him
- When Vallabha Bhatta heard from the mouth of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu about the pure Vaisnavism of all these devotees, he immediately desired to see them
- When Vallabha Bhatta invited Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and His associates, the Lord was very pleased with him
- When Vallabha Bhatta saw all the devotees of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, he was greatly surprised, and in devotion he offered his obeisances at the lotus feet of each and every one of them
- Whenever Vallabha Bhatta entered the society of devotees, headed by Advaita Acarya, he was like a duck in a society of white swans
- Why did you not retaliate by reproaching Him? Why did you fearfully tolerate His criticism
- With great respect, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu seated Vallabha Bhatta near Him. Then Vallabha Bhatta very humbly began to speak
- Without being especially empowered by Krsna, one cannot manifest ecstatic love of Krsna, for Krsna is the only one who gives ecstatic love. That is the verdict of all revealed scriptures
- You have dared criticize Sridhara Svami, and you have begun your own commentary on Srimad-Bhagavatam, not accepting his authority. That is your false pride
- You have manifested the holy name of Krsna throughout the entire world. Anyone who sees You is immediately absorbed in ecstatic love of Krsna
- You have spread the sankirtana movement of Krsna consciousness. Therefore it is evident that You have been empowered by Lord Krsna. There is no question about it
- You have worshiped Me, cutting off all domestic ties, which are difficult to break. Therefore please let your own glorious deeds be your compensation
- Your mind was not disturbed by My tricks. Rather, you stayed fixed in your simplicity. In this way you have purchased Me