Category:Krsna and the Cowherd Men
Pages in category "Krsna and the Cowherd Men"
The following 118 pages are in this category, out of 118 total.
- According to the instruction of Lord Krsna, Nanda Maharaja and the cowherd men called in learned brahmanas and began to worship Govardhana Hill by chanting Vedic hymns and offering prasadam
- According to the instruction of Lord Krsna, Nanda Maharaja and the cowherd men called in learned brahmanas and began to worship Govardhana Hill by chanting Vedic hymns and offering prasadam - SB 10.24.31-33
- Actually we see, however, that even during the presence of Krsna, when Nanda Maharaja and the other cowherd men had the Supreme Personality of Godhead in their presence, there were disturbances. Of course, in every case, Krsna came out victorious
- After hearing this (reply from Nanda Maharaja), Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, in the presence of His father and all the elder cowherd men of Vrndavana, spoke in such a way as to make the heavenly king, Indra, very angry
- After seeing the spiritual sky and the Vaikunthalokas, all the men, headed by Nanda Maharaja, felt wonderfully blissful, and upon coming out of the lake, they saw Krsna, who was being worshiped with excellent prayers
- All the cowherd men conferred and agreed to give those boys who had passed their fifth year charge of the cows in the pasturing ground. Given charge of the cows, Krsna and Balarama traversed Vrndavana, purifying the land with Their lotus footprints
- All the cowherd men, headed by Nanda Maharaja, enjoyed topics about the pastimes of Krsna and Balarama with great transcendental pleasure, and they could not even perceive material tribulations - SB 10.11.58
- All the cowherd men, including Nanda Maharaja, used to talk of the wonderful activities of Lord Krsna and Balarama, and they were always so much absorbed in those talks that they forgot the threefold miseries of this material existence
- All the men loaded their valuables on carts and slowly left with their cows and other paraphernalia. After they had cleared out everything, Lord Krsna very slowly replaced Govardhana Hill in exactly the same position it had been before
- Although the cowherd men and cowherd women previously had more affection for Krsna than for their own children, now, for one year, their affection for their own sons continuously increased, for Krsna had now become their sons - SB 10.13.26
- Another gopi said, "Dear Krsna, dear friend, we know very well that You are not actually the son of mother Yasoda or the cowherd man Nanda Maharaja. You are the Supreme Personality of Godhead and the Supersoul of all living entities"
- As soon as Nanda and Yasoda and the cowherd men heard this news (that Balarama was not with Krsna), they became even more anxious
- As the men remembered their sons (Krsna's cowherd boy expansions), tears began to roll down from their eyes - SB 10.13.34
- At such times He would be greatly morose and would cry, "Alas, where is Vrndavana? Where is Krsna, the son of the King of the cowherd men? Where is that person who plays the flute"
- At that time (when the cowherd men came down from Govardhana and saw their sons (Krsna's cowherd boy expansions)), all the thoughts of the cowherd men merged in the mellow of paternal love, which was aroused by the sight of their sons - SB 10.13.33
- At that time Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, known now as the lifter of Govardhana Hill, said, "My dear cowherd men, now you can leave and take your wives, children, cows and valuables, because everything is ended"
- Because He is the omniscient Personality of Godhead, Krsna knew that the cowherd men were preparing for the Indra sacrifice, but as a matter of etiquette He began to inquire with great honor and submission from elder personalities like Maharaja Nanda
- Because of intense love for Krsna, the cowherd men and women simply remained silent, thinking of how Krsna and the boys had been saved (from Bakasura). The cowherd men and women looked upon Krsna and the boys and did not desire to turn their eyes aside
- Because of their great attachment for Krsna, they (the cowherd men) thought, "Today Krsna is surely going to be vanquished!"
- Because their (members of the Yadu dynasty and the cowherds of Vrndavana) minds were always engaged in Krsna, they were automatically freed from all material activities
- Brahma said, "I am simply surprised with the fortunate position of Maharaja Nanda, mother Yasoda and the cowherd men & gopis, because You, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the Absolute Truth, are existing here as their most intimate lovable object"
- Brahma said, "Your appearance as a small cowherd boy, a child of the cowherd men, is not at all a material activity. You are so much obliged by their affection that You are here to inspire them with more loving service by Your transcendental presence"
- Had Krsna actually done this (felling the yamala-arjuna trees), or were these merely stories? This was a cause of bewilderment - of all the cowherd men in the neighborhood
- He (Krsna) was standing as He was, and still the things had happened (two yamala-arjuna trees had fallen beside Krsna without smashing Him), so who had done all this? How could these events have happened in such a wonderful way - the cowherd men thoutght
- He (Upananda) said: My dear friends the cowherd men, in order to do good to this place, Gokula, we should leave it, because so many disturbances are always occurring here, just for the purpose of killing Rama and Krsna - SB 10.11.23
- His (Krsna) pastimes with Nanda and Yasoda and His pastimes with the cowherd men and especially with the cowherd boys and the cows have caused Him to be known as Govinda
- Indra further declared, "These cowherd men in Vrndavana have neglected my authority on the advice of this talkative boy who is known as Krsna. He is nothing but a child, and by believing this child, they have enraged me"
- Indra knew about the exalted position of Krsna because Krsna is the master of Indra, but he could not believe that Krsna could come down and live in Vrndavana among the cowherd men
- King Indra was certainly a devotee, not a demon, but because he was puffed up, Krsna wanted to teach him a lesson. He first made Indra angry by stopping the Indra-puja, which had been arranged by the cowherd men in Vrndavana
- King Nanda said, "Gargacarya assured me that this boy would be all-auspicious for my family and that He (Krsna) would be able to give transcendental blissful pleasure to all the cowherd men and cows in Vrndavana"
- King Nanda, accompanied by his cowherd men, had loaded all their necessary paraphernalia on bullock carts, and all of the Vrndavana residents had come to Kuruksetra to see their beloved sons Lord Balarama and Lord Krsna
- Krsna has become everything. After Brahma has stolen the original cowherds boys and cows and calves, Krsna has expanded Himself. So on account of Krsna's expansion, the cowherdsmen got a special attraction
- Krsna is a thunderbolt to the wrestlers; to the common man He is the most beautiful human being; to the young girls He is just like Cupid; to the cowherd men and women He is the most intimate relative and to the impious kings He is the supreme ruler
- Krsna led all the cowherd men, headed by Nanda Maharaja, to the lake where Akrura would later be shown the Vaikuntha planetary system. They took their bath immediately and saw the real nature of the Vaikunthalokas
- Lord Brahma saw the Absolute Truth (Krsna) assuming the role of a child in a family of cowherd men and standing all alone, just as before, with a morsel of food in His hand, searching everywhere for the calves and His cowherd friends - SB 10.13.61
- Lord Indra said, "This Krsna is an ordinary human being, is talkative, childish, impudent & ignorant, although He thinks Himself very learned. The cowherd men in Vrndavana have offended me by accepting Him. This has not been greatly appreciated by me"
- Lord Krsna and Lord Balarama, along with King Ugrasena, satisfied the inhabitants of Vrndavana, headed by Maharaja Nanda and the cowherd men, by profusely offering all kinds of gifts to worship them and please them
- Maharaja Nanda finally relented. The cowherd men then inquired from Krsna how He wanted the yajna performed, and Krsna gave them the following directions. "Prepare very nice foods of all descriptions from the grain and ghee collected for the yajna"
- Most of the cowherd men did not believe the statement of the children. They could not believe that such things were at all possible. Some believed them and told Nanda Maharaja, "Your child is different from all other children. He just might have done it"
- Mother Yasoda, Rohini, Maharaja Nanda and the cowherd men became so happy that as they embraced Krsna they thought they had achieved their ultimate goal of life
- Nanda and all the other cowherd men, who had dedicated everything, including their lives, to Krsna, were ready to enter the waters of the Yamuna, but Lord Balarama checked them because He was in perfect knowledge that there was no danger
- Nanda Maharaja & mother Yasoda, developed their unalloyed devotion for the S.P. of Godhead, having gotten Him as their son. And all the gopis and cowherd men who were associates of Krsna naturally developed their own different feelings of love for Krsna
- Nanda Maharaja and the cowherd men got up on bullock carts after loading them with big earthen pots filled with yogurt, milk, ghee and other milk products, and then they began to follow the chariot of Krsna and Balarama
- Nanda Maharaja returned to Vrndavana without Krsna and Balarama. He was accompanied only by the cowherd boys and men. It was certainly a very pathetic scene for the gopis, mother Yasoda, Srimati Radharani and all the other residents of Vrndavana
- Narada was very eager to accelerate the descent of Krsna as soon as possible. He therefore informed Kamsa that in Vrndavana personalities like Nanda Maharaja and all the other cowherd men and their wives
- Observing the inauspicious signs, the cowherd men, including Maharaja Nanda, became very anxious out of fear. At the same time they were informed that Krsna had gone to the pasturing ground without His elder brother, Balarama
- On account of excessive parental affection for Balarama and Krsna, Nanda Maharaja felt tears in his eyes, and he embraced Them and started with the cowherd men for Vrndavana
- On Krsna’s word, Nanda Maharaja at once called for the cowherd men and asked them to collect milk and all kinds of milk products to present to the King in the ceremony
- On the next day, Dvadasi, Nanda Maharaja went to take a bath in the Ganges and was arrested by one of the men of Varuna; then he was released by Lord Krsna. Then Nanda Maharaja, along with the cowherd men, was shown the spiritual sky
- One friend of Nanda, speaking about Krsna's auspicious bodily symptoms, said, "My dear King of the cowherds, I can find 32 auspicious symptoms on the body of your son! I am wondering how this boy could have taken his birth in the family of cowherd men"
- One view was that it was impossible for a small boy like this to have done such a thing as pulling down the trees. But there were doubts because Krsna had been predicted to equal Narayana. Therefore the cowherd men were in a dilemma
- Since Garga Muni was an astrologer, he could understand everything past and future, and thus he said, "I know everything about His activities and names, but others do not know. This child (Krsna) will be very pleasing to all the cowherd men and cows"
- Some of them (the coweherd men and women) supported the situation: "This is proper because those who are too sinful die from their sinful reactions, and child Krsna is pious; therefore He is safe from all kinds of fearful situations"
- The citizens of Mathura spoke among themselves, "Sankhacuda, Kesi, Dhenukasura and many other demons were killed by Krsna and Balarama in Vrndavana. Krsna also saved all the cowherd men of Vrndavana from a devastating fire"
- The cowherd men & women were invited to participate in the jubilant celebration (of Krsna's birthday). A nice band played & the assembled people enjoyed it. All the learned brahmanas were invited, & they chanted Vedic hymns for the good fortune of Krsna
- The cowherd men and women could not understand that the all-powerful Personality of Godhead was lying there as a baby and that He could do anything. Both the possible and impossible were in His power
- The cowherd men began to contemplate: It is very astonishing that although this boy Krsna has many times faced many varied causes of death, by the grace of the SP of Godhead it was these causes of fear that were killed, instead of Him - SB 10.11.55
- The cowherd men innocently thought - Because our Krsna is innocent, the causes of death that appeared before Him were themselves killed instead of Krsna. This is the greatest grace of the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- The cowherd men performed a ceremony whereby they worshiped the cows, brahmanas & Govardhana Hill. At that time Krsna expanded Himself & declared - I am Govardhana Hill. In this way He accepted all the paraphernalia & food offered to Govardhana Hill
- The cowherd men said, "By picking up Govardhana Hill, just as a child picks up a mushroom, He (Krsna) saved us so wonderfully. May He continue to glance mercifully over us and our cows. May we live peacefully under the protection of wonderful Krsna"
- The cowherd men were very much agitated because the child Krsna, after all, had been standing between the two (fallen yamala-arjuna) trees, and if by chance the trees had fallen upon Him, He would have been smashed
- The cowherd men who were present there looked upon Krsna as their own kinsman, coming from the same village of Vrndavana. The impious ksatriya kings who were present saw Him as the strongest ruler and their chastiser
- The cowherd men, who had come to execute the ritualistic function of worshiping Lord Siva and Ambika, finished their business and prepared to return to Vrndavana. While returning, they recalled the wonderful activities of Krsna
- The elderly cowherd men, having obtained great feeling from embracing their sons (Krsna's cowherd boy expansions), gradually and with great difficulty and reluctance ceased embracing them and returned to the forest - SB 10.13.34
- The friends of Nanda Maharaja, all the cowherd men, became eager to know if Krsna was actually the Supreme Personality and if He was going to give them all salvation
- The gopis and the men began to converse amongst themselves about how wonderful it was that child Krsna had been attacked in so many ways and so many times by so many demons, and yet the demons themselves had been killed and Krsna had remained uninjured
- The gopis dressed themselves very luxuriantly and sat in bull-driven carts, chanting the glories of Krsna's pastimes. The brahmanas, assembled there to act as priests for Govardhana-puja, offered their blessings to the cowherd men and their wives
- The gopis especially, and also the cowherd men and the aborigine tribeswomen, always desire to become the grass and straw on the streets of Vrndavana, to be trampled on by the lotus feet of Krsna
- The gopis were born not of any highly cultured family but of cowherd men, yet they developed the highest love of Krsna, who is the Supersoul, the Supreme Personality of Godhead and the Supreme Brahman
- The honest and simple cowherd men, headed by Nanda Maharaja, accepted Krsna's proposal and executed in detail everything He advised. They performed Govardhana worship and circumambulation of the hill
- The honest and simple cowherd men, headed by Nanda Maharaja, accepted Krsna’s proposal and executed in detail everything He advised. They performed Govardhana worship and circumambulation of the hill - SB 10.24.31-33
- The inhabitants of Vrndavana, including the cowherd boys and men, the gopis, mother Yasoda, Maharaja Nanda and all the cows and calves, saw Krsna coming from the Yamuna, and it was as though they had recovered their very life
- The killing of Pralambasura & the devouring of the devastating forest fire by Krsna and Balarama became household topics in Vrndavana. The cowherd men described these wonderful activities to their wives and to everyone else, & all were struck with wonder
- The residents of Mathura were surprised at the pious activities the cowherd men in Vrndavana must have performed in their previous lives to be able to see Krsna and Balarama daily as cowherd boys
- The Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krsna advised the cowherd men to stop the Indra-yajna and begin the Govardhana-puja to chastise Indra, who was very much puffed up at being the supreme controller of the heavenly planets - SB 10.24.31-33
- The Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krsna, therefore advised the cowherd men to stop the Indra-yajna and begin the Govardhana-puja in order to chastise Indra, who was very much puffed up at being the supreme controller of the heavenly planets
- The women of Vrndavana who are on the level of superior guardians are attracted to Lord Krsna maternally. The men of Vrndavana are attracted as servants, friends and fathers
- There (in the Goloka) are also elderly gopis and the cowherd men, headed by Nanda Maharaja, mother Yasoda and others. All of these personalities are eternally engaged in the loving service of God in accordance with their specific attachments for Krsna
- There is a nice statement in the SB regarding Krsna's speaking politely. When Krsna politely bade His father, Nanda Maharaj, to stop the ritualistic offering of sacrifice to the raingod, Indra, a wife of one village cowherd man became captivated
- There was a tumultuous roaring sound, and they all began to pray to Krsna for safety. At this time Lord Balarama was smiling, thinking that these cowherd men had been frightened by the shaking of Govardhana Hill
- There was no limit to the increment of their (the cowherd men and women's) affection for their sons, who were now Krsna. Every day they found new inspiration for loving their children as much as they loved Krsna - SB 10.13.26
- Thereafter (after learning to walk), Lord Krsna, along with Balarama, began to play with the other children of the cowherd men, thus awakening the transcendental bliss of the cowherd women - SB 10.8.27
- These considerations (who had done all this? and how could these events have happened in such a wonderful way?) were some of the reasons they (the cowherd men) were agitated and bewildered - by seeing two trees fallen beside Krsna without smashed Him
- These cowherd boys, uneducated, without any town life, cow-men, they are Krsna's best friend. Unsophisticated, no education, but love intense - that is perfect. That attracted Krsna
- They (Krsna and Balarama) immediately informed Nanda Maharaja that Kamsa had invited all the cowherd men and boys to go to Mathura to participate in the ceremony known as Dhanur-yajna. Kamsa wanted them all to go there to participate in the function
- They (the cowherd men and their wives) concluded that Krsna and Balarama were demigods who had kindly come to Vrndavana to become their children. In this way, the rainy season ensued
- They (the cowherd men and women) began to talk about how wonderful it was that the demon (Trnavarta) had taken away the child (Krsna) to devour Him but could not do so; instead he fell down dead
- They (the cowherd men and women) looked upon Krsna and the boys with silent eyes, not wanting to turn their eyes aside now that the boys were safe - SB 10.11.54
- They (the cowherd men) began to praise Nanda Maharaja, because by consulting him their doubts about Krsna were cleared. They said, "Let Krsna, who is so kind, beautiful and merciful, protect us"
- They (the cowherd men) began to show paternal love for the children, and with great affection they lifted them in their arms and embraced them. They began to smell their children’s heads and enjoy their company with great happiness
- They (the cowherd men) thought that by chance Krsna had been saved by God (from the falling arjuna trees) so that nothing had happened to Him
- They (the gopis and cowherd men) continued to converse amongst themselves about how so many great demons in such fierce bodies had attacked Krsna to kill Him but, by the grace of Hari, had not been able to cause even a slight injury
- They (the gopis and men) remembered the words of Garga Muni, who had foretold, by dint of his vast knowledge of the Vedas & astrology, that this boy would be attacked by many demons. Now they were actually seeing that this was coming true, word for word
- Thinking that child Krsna had been saved from the mouth of death, they (the gopis and the cowherd men) looked upon His face with great love and affection. They were full of anxiety and could not turn their faces from the vision of Krsna
- To increase the transcendental bliss of the cowherd men of Gokula, this child (Krsna) will always act auspiciously for you (Nanda Maharaja). And by His grace only, you will surpass all difficulties - SB 10.8.16
- When all the cowherd men had very attentively heard the statements of Gargacarya through Nanda Maharaja, they better appreciated the wonderful activities of Krsna and became very jubilant and satisfied
- When all the ecstatic cowherd men heard that Nanda Maharaja, the father of Krsna, was celebrating the birth ceremony of his son, they became spontaneously joyful
- When Indra understood that the sacrifice which was to be offered by the cowherd men in Vrndavana had been stopped by Krsna, he became angry
- When Krsna began to blow on His flute in the night, all of the gopis, the beautiful daughters of the cowherd men, immediately got up from their sleep. There is a very beautiful comparison made in this connection
- When Krsna would again steal butter and curd, the cowherd men would again try to capture Him, saying, Here is the butter thief. Better capture Him! And they would be angry. But Krsna would simply smile, and they would forget everything
- When Krsna's glance went over the breasts of the gopis, His hand began to shake, and upon seeing His hand shake, all of the cowherd men underneath the hill (Govardhana) became a little disturbed
- When Lord Krsna lifted Govardhan Hill, the cowherd men, under the protection of Lord Krsna, became struck with wonder and went to Nanda Maharaj and inquired from him
- When something very wonderful happened because of Krsna's activities, the inhabitants of Vrndavana - the cowherd men, the cowherd boys, Nanda Maharaja, Yasoda and the others - were surprised, but they never considered their son Krsna, the SP of Godhead
- When the cowherd men and women heard about the killing of Bakasura in the forest, they were very much astonished - SB 10.11.54
- When the cowherd men of Vrndavana, under instruction of Krsna, stopped offering sacrifice to the heavenly King, Indra, the whole tract of land known as Vraja was threatened with being washed away by constant heavy rains for seven days
- When the cowherd men saw this (Krsna releasing the calves), they would chase Krsna and try to catch Him, saying, Here is Krsna doing mischief, but He would flee and enter another house, where He would again devise some means to steal butter and curd
- When the gopis and cowherd men all heard the story (of Bakasura) from the boys, they felt great happiness because naturally they loved Krsna, and by hearing about His glories and victorious activities they became still more affectionate toward Him
- When the gopis saw the demon (Trnavarta) killed and child Krsna very happily playing on his body, they immediately picked Krsna up with great affection. The cowherd men and women became very happy to get back their beloved child Krsna
- When there was a forest fire in Vrndavana, all the cowherd men assembled together and desperately appealed to Krsna for protection. This is an instance of emotion caused by fire
- When they (Nanda Maharaja and the cowherd men) were all thus consulting among themselves, Krsna understood their minds, and in order to assure them of their destiny in the spiritual kingdom, He showed them the spiritual sky
- While the cowherd men were thus contemplating, the small children who were playing there informed the men that the trees had fallen because Krsna had pulled the wooden mortar with the rope binding Him
- Without understanding the intricacies of Krsna, the SP of God, and without knowing His uncommon spiritual opulences, the innocent cowherd boys & men of Vrndavana began to discuss the wonderful activities of Krsna, which surpass the activities of all men