Krsna Book Chapter 63 - Lord Krsna Fights with Banasura
Pages in category "Krsna Book Chapter 63 - Lord Krsna Fights with Banasura"
The following 145 pages are in this category, out of 145 total.
- A man who is simply attached to sensual enjoyment voluntarily accepts the miserable material existence and thus wanders after the will-o'-the-wisp of sense pleasure. He is certainly the most foolish man, for he drinks poison and puts aside the nectar
- After hearing Lord Siva's prayer, Lord Krsna replied, "My dear Lord Siva, I accept your statements, and I also accept your desire for Banasura. I know that this Banasura is the son of Bali Maharaja, and as such I cannot kill him, for that is My promise"
- After hearing the Siva-jvara, Lord Krsna replied, "O three-headed one, I am pleased with your statement. Be assured that there will be no more suffering for you from the Narayana-jvara"
- After hearing the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the Siva-jvara offered respectful obeisances unto His lotus feet and left
- All the big roads and crossings (of Dvaraka) were carefully cleansed and sprinkled with sandalwood pulp mixed with water. Everywhere was the fragrance of sandalwood (because Krsna was returning to Dvaraka with Usa & Aniruddha)
- All the citizens joined their friends & relatives to welcome Lord Krsna with great pomp & jubilation, & a tumultuous vibration of conchshells, drums & bugles received the Lord. In this way the SP of Godhead, Krsna, entered His capital, Dvaraka
- All the people of Dvaraka, having received the news that Lord Krsna was returning with Aniruddha and Usa in great opulence, decorated every corner of the city with flags, festoons and garlands
- All the strings of his (Banasura's) bows had been broken, and there was no chariot or driver, so he had no alternative but to return to his city. He lost everything in the battle
- All these phenomenal manifestations are the combined actions of Your (Krsna's) material energy
- As confirmed in the Bhagavad-gita, the cause of the impersonal Brahman is Lord Krsna. This Brahman effulgence is likened to the sunshine, which emanates from the sun globe. Therefore, impersonal Brahman is not the ultimate cause
- As there is a Siva-jvara weapon, there is also a Narayana-jvara weapon, which is represented by excessive cold
- At the time of death, the temperature of the body first of all increases to 107 degrees Fahrenheit, and then the whole body collapses and immediately becomes as cold as ice
- Banasura appeared before Lord Krsna, who was seated on His chariot, with different kinds of weapons in his one thousand hands. Very much agitated, Banasura splashed his different weapons upon the body of Lord Krsna like torrents of rain
- Banasura heard that the soldiers of the Yadu dynasty were attacking the whole city, tearing down various walls, gates and nearby gardens. Becoming very angry, he immediately ordered his soldiers, who were of equal caliber, to go and face them
- Banasura's fighting with Krsna and later being saved by the grace of Lord Siva is confirmation of the statement in the Bhagavad-gita that the worshipers of demigods cannot achieve any benediction without its being sanctioned by the Supreme Lord, Krsna
- Being greatly harassed by the arrows of Krsna, all the associates of Lord Siva - the hobgoblins and ghostly Bhutas, Pretas and ksatriyas - left the battlefield
- Both Lord Brahma and Lord Siva act only in one capacity: Lord Brahma can create, and Lord Siva can annihilate. But neither of them can maintain. Lord Visnu, however, not only maintains but creates and annihilates also
- By Your internal potency You appear as the different incarnations of Visnu, and by Your external potency You appear as the phenomenal world
- Having the opportunity to use his one thousand arms, he rushed toward Krsna, simultaneously working five hundred bows and two thousand arrows. Such a foolish person could never measure Krsna's strength
- He (Krsna) counteracted the brahmastra, similar to the atomic bomb, with another brahmastra, and an air weapon with a mountain weapon
- He (Narada) explained how Aniruddha had been carried to the city of Sonitapura, the capital of Banasura's empire, and how Banasura had arrested him with the naga-pasa, even though Aniruddha had defeated his soldiers
- Here in this narration we find that although Banasura was a great devotee of Lord Siva, when he faced death by Krsna, Lord Siva was not able to save him. But Lord Siva appealed to Krsna to save his devotee, and this was sanctioned by the Lord
- If one remembers in the morning the narration of this fight between Lord Krsna and Lord Siva and takes pleasure in the victory of Lord Krsna, he will never experience defeat anywhere in his struggle of life
- In the meantime, Banasura somehow or other recovered from his setbacks and, with rejuvenated energy, returned to fight (with Krsna)
- In the phenomenal manifestation there are three stages: the stage of consciousness, the stage of semiconsciousness in dreaming, and the stage of unconsciousness. But Your (Krsna's) Lordship is transcendental to all these material stages of existence
- It is said that at the end of creation the sun becomes twelve times more scorching than usual. This twelve-times-hotter temperature is called Siva-jvara
- Krsna cut Banasura's arms with His Sudarsana disc just as a gardener trims the twigs of a tree with sharp cutters
- Krsna was now able to turn His attention from the attack of Lord Siva to the efforts of Banasura, and He began to kill Banasura's personal soldiers with swords and clubs
- Krsna's son Pradyumna was fighting fiercely with Karttikeya, the commander in chief of the demigods. Karttik was wounded & his body was bleeding profusely. In this condition, he left without fighting anymore, rode away on the back of his peacock carrier
- Less intelligent men claim that there is no God, but when the manifestation of different living entities & their activities is visible, enlightened persons see You (Krsna) present in every atom & through the via media of Your external & marginal energies
- Lord Balarama smashed Banasura's commander in chief, Kumbhanda, with the strokes of His club. Kupakarna was also wounded in this way, and both he and Kumbhanda fell on the battlefield, Kumbhanda being fatally wounded
- Lord Krsna replied to Siva-jvara, "Not only are you now free from fear of the Narayana-jvara, but anyone in the future who simply recollects this fight between you and the Narayana-jvara will also be freed from all kinds of fear"
- Lord Krsna replied, "I gave a benediction to King Prahlada that the demons who would appear in his family would never be killed by Me. Therefore, without killing this Banasura, I have simply cut off his arms to deprive him of his false prestige"
- Lord Krsna replied, "I know that he (Banasura) is one of the chief devotees of Your Lordship (Siva), so you can now rest assured that henceforward he need have no fear of anything"
- Lord Krsna replied, "The large number of soldiers he was maintaining became a burden on this earth, & I have killed them all to minimize the burden. Now he has four remaining arms, and he will remain immortal, unaffected by material pains and pleasures"
- Lord Krsna took charge of Aniruddha and Usa, who had become very opulent materially because of the blessings of Lord Siva. Thus, keeping forward a division of one aksauhini of soldiers, Krsna proceeded toward Dvaraka
- Lord Siva continued: "My dear Lord (Krsna), since You are manifested universally, the different parts of the universe are the different parts of Your body, and by Your inconceivable potency You can simultaneously be both localized and universal"
- Lord Siva is called Bhuta-natha because he is assisted by various types of powerful ghosts and denizens of the inferno - Bhutas, Pretas, Pramathas, Guhyakas, Dakinis, Pisacas, Kusmandas, Vetalas, Vinayakas and Brahma-raksasas
- Lord Siva is called Mahadeva, the greatest of all the demigods, although sometimes Lord Brahma is considered the greatest of all the demigods because he can create. However, Lord Siva can annihilate the creations of Brahma
- Lord Siva said, "A person who possesses a human body but who cannot bring his senses under control is carried away by the waves of sensual enjoyment. As such, he cannot take shelter of Your lotus feet and thus engage in Your devotional service"
- Lord Siva said, "All immediate & remote causes of the cosmic manifestation rest in You without distinctive features of existence. Ultimately, there is no possibility of distinction between You & other thing on equal level with You or subordinate to You"
- Lord Siva said, "All of the demigods are directing different affairs of the universe by Your (Krsna's) grace only. Thus the seven upper planetary systems are maintained by Your grace"
- Lord Siva said, "All the great progenitors, known as Prajapatis, are Your (Krsna's) symbolic representatives. And religion is Your heart"
- Lord Siva said, "As far as I am concerned, I act as Your (Krsna's) ego"
- Lord Siva said, "As stated in the Bhagavad-gita, You (Krsna) appear in order to protect the devotees, and thus Your appearance indicates good fortune for all the universe"
- Lord Siva said, "At the end of this creation, all manifestations of Your (Krsna's) energies, whether in the shape of demigods, human beings or lower animals, enter into You"
- Lord Siva said, "By Your (Krsna) personal manifestation; and You have appeared as different living entities by Your separated manifestations"
- Lord Siva said, "Despite Your (Krsna) transcendental position, my Lord, in order to show Your six opulences and advertise Your transcendental qualities, You have appeared in Your different incarnations - fish, tortoise, boar, Nrsimha, Kesava"
- Lord Siva said, "Finally, my Lord (Krsna), I may inform You that this Banasura is very dear to me. He has rendered valuable service unto me; therefore I want to see him always happy. Being pleased with him, I have assured him safety"
- Lord Siva said, "Human society without Krsna consciousness is a society of cheaters and the cheated"
- Lord Siva said, "I pray to You, my Lord (Krsna), that as You were pleased with his forefathers King Prahlada and Bali Maharaja, You will also be pleased with him"
- Lord Siva said, "In the Brahma-samhita we also find it stated that although You (Krsna) always remain in Your abode, Goloka Vrndavana, You are present everywhere"
- Lord Siva said, "In the impersonalists' conception of Your (Krsna's) supreme existence, the heavenly planets are Your head, all the directions are Your ears, the earth (Urvi) is Your lotus feet, the moon is Your mind, and the sun is Your eye"
- Lord Siva said, "In the impersonalists' conception of Your (Krsna's) supreme existence, the sky is just like Your navel, fire is Your mouth, and water is Your semen"
- Lord Siva said, "My dear Lord (Krsna), let us always be engaged in Your transcendental loving service so that we may get free from this material entanglement"
- Lord Siva said, "My dear Lord Krsna, You are the worshipable object of the Vedic hymns"
- Lord Siva said, "My dear Lord, only by Your mercy and grace can the living entity get the human form of life, which is a chance to get out of the miserable condition of material existence"
- Lord Siva said, "My Lord, You (Krsna) are actually the dearmost Supersoul of all living entities and the supreme controller of everything"
- Lord Siva said, "On a cloudy day, to the common man's eyes the sun appears to be covered. But the fact is that because the sunshine creates the cloud, the sun can never actually be covered, even though the whole sky may be cloudy"
- Lord Siva said, "One who does not know You (Krsna) considers the impersonal brahmajyoti to be the ultimate SAT, without knowledge that You exist behind Your spiritual effulgence in Your eternal abode. My dear Lord, You are therefore called Parabrahman"
- Lord Siva said, "Only the devotees can realize You (Krsna), and no one else"
- Lord Siva said, "Saintly persons who have completely cleansed their hearts of all material contamination can realize Your (Krsna's) transcendental form, although You are all-pervading like the sky, unaffected by any material thing"
- Lord Siva said, "The human being who is always illusioned is afraid of ultimate death"
- Lord Siva said, "The impersonal feature of Your (Krsna's) supreme body is conceived of in this way, but You are ultimately the Supreme Person"
- Lord Siva said, "The impersonal feature of Your (Krsna's) supreme body is only a small expansion of Your energy. You are likened to the original fire, and Your expansions are its light and heat"
- Lord Siva said, "The life of such a person (who cannot bring his senses under control) is very unfortunate, and anyone living such a life of darkness is certainly cheating himself and thus cheating others also"
- Lord Siva said, "The ocean is Your (Krsna's) abdomen, and the King of heaven, Indra, is Your arm. Trees and plants are the hairs on Your body, the clouds are the hair on Your head, and Lord Brahma is Your intelligence"
- Lord Siva said, "The words param brahman have been used in the Bhagavad-gita to identify You (Krsna)"
- Lord Siva said, "We have all taken shelter of You (Krsna) because we have accepted You as the Supreme Lord and the dearmost life and soul of all of us"
- Lord Siva said, "You (Krsna) are equal to everyone, the most peaceful supreme friend of every living entity. You are the supreme worshipable object for every one of us"
- Lord Siva said, "You (Krsna) are simultaneously the cause of this cosmic manifestation and its ingredients as well. You are the Supreme Whole, one without a second"
- Lord Siva said, "You (Krsna) are the original cause of this cosmic manifestation, You are its supreme maintainer, and You are the cause of its dissolution also"
- Lord Siva said, "You exist in four dimension, & Your appearance and disappearance do not depend on anything beyond Yourself. You are the supreme cause of everything, but of You there is no cause. You Yourself cause Your own appearance and disappearance"
- Lord Siva then began to release all his selected weapons against the Personality of Godhead. Lord Sri Krsna, without any difficulty, counteracted all these weapons with counterweapons
- Lord Siva then took to his last resort. He released his greatest death weapon, known as Siva-jvara, which destroys by excessive temperature
- Lord Siva was engaged in fighting directly with Lord Krsna, Pradyumna was engaged with Karttikeya, and Lord Balarama was engaged with Banasura's commander in chief, Kumbhanda, who was assisted by Kupakarna
- Lord Siva was so kind to Banasura that he personally came as the commander in chief of the military force, assisted by his heroic sons Karttikeya and Ganapati. Nandisvara, Lord Siva, seated on his favorite bull, led the fighting against Krsna & Balarama
- Lord Sri Krsna is the original Narayana and the controller of the Narayana-jvara weapon. When the Narayana-jvara was released, there was a great fight between the two jvaras
- My dear Lord, all the demigods, including myself (Siva) and Lord Brahma, as well as great saintly persons and sages who have cleansed their hearts of material attachment, have, by Your grace, wholeheartedly taken shelter of Your lotus feet
- My Lord, You are complete knowledge, and there is not a pinch of material contamination in Your personality
- Samba, the son of Krsna, fought the son of Banasura, and Banasura fought Satyaki, commander in chief of the Yadu dynasty. In this way the fighting was waged
- Siva, the greatest of the demigods, could not help him, what to speak of the lesser demigods, & therefore the Siva-jvara ultimately surrendered unto Krsna, bowing before Him and offering a prayer so that the Lord might be pleased and give him protection
- Siva-jvara began to pray, "My dear Lord, I offer my respectful obeisances unto You (Krsna) because You have unlimited potencies. No one can surpass Your potencies, and thus You are the Lord of everyone"
- Siva-jvara said, "A material machine may be gigantic and wonderful, but without the touch of someone conscious and in knowledge, the material machine is useless for all purposes"
- Siva-jvara said, "A material thing may be very powerful, but without the touch of consciousness it cannot act"
- Siva-jvara said, "Actually neither Brahma nor Lord Siva is the original cause of this cosmic manifestation"
- Siva-jvara said, "All such incarnations descend in fulfillment of Your (Krsna's) promise in the Bhagavad-gita that You appear as soon as there are discrepancies in the system of progressive life"
- Siva-jvara said, "Considering Your (Krsna's) mission of maintaining such (maintain the demigods and spiritually inclined persons) law and order, Your violence toward the miscreants and demons is quite befitting"
- Siva-jvara said, "Generally people consider Lord Siva the most powerful personality in the material world, but Lord Siva is not all-powerful; You (Krsna) are all-powerful. This is factual"
- Siva-jvara said, "Lord Brahma may be very powerful because he can create the entire universe"
- Siva-jvara said, "Lord Siva may be a powerful demigod because of his specific power to annihilate the whole creation"
- Siva-jvara said, "My dear Lord (Krsna), I beg to submit that I have been very greatly chastised by the release of Your Narayana-jvara, which is certainly very cooling yet at the same time severely dangerous and unbearable for all of us"
- Siva-jvara said, "My dear Lord, as long as one is forgetful of Krsna consciousness, driven by the spell of material desires and ignorant of the ultimate shelter at Your lotus feet"
- Siva-jvara said, "My dear Lord, Your appearance as the son of Vasudeva in Your role as a human being is one of the pastimes of Your complete freedom"
- Siva-jvara said, "One who has accepted this material body becomes disturbed by the three miserable conditions of material nature. Because one does not surrender unto You (Krsna), he continues to suffer perpetually"
- Siva-jvara said, "This is not the first time You (Krsna) have incarnated; it is to be understood that You have done so many, many times before"
- Siva-jvara said, "To benefit Your devotees and vanquish the nondevotees, You appear in multi-incarnations"
- Siva-jvara said, "When there are disturbances by irregular principles, my dear Lord, You appear by Your internal potency"
- Siva-jvara said, "You (Krsna) are the Absolute Truth, the Supreme Brahman, & You are the original cause. The original cause of the cosmic manifestation is not the impersonal Brahman effulgence. That impersonal Brahman effulgence rests on Your personality"
- Siva-jvara said, "Your (Krsna's) main business is to protect and maintain the demigods and spiritually inclined persons and to maintain the standard of material law and order"
- Sukadeva Gosvami assured King Pariksit that the narration of the fight between Lord Siva and Lord Krsna is not at all inauspicious, like ordinary fights
- The exact words used in this connection in the Bhagavad-gita are mayaiva vihitan hi tan. This means that without the sanction of the Supreme Lord, no demigod can award any benediction to his worshiper
- The fighting (Siva against Krsna and Balarama) was so fierce that those who saw the battle were struck with wonder, and the hairs on their bodies stood up
- The living entity acquires a particular nature packed up in a subtle body and gross body formed by the life air, the ego, the ten sense organs, the mind and the five gross elements
- The members of the Yadu dynasty, all of whom had great affection for Krsna, prepared to attack the city of Sonitapura
- The Siva-jvara continued: "Therefore, my Lord, Your (Krsna's) body is completely peaceful, completely blissful and devoid of material contamination. In the material body there are actions and reactions of the three modes of material nature"
- The Siva-jvara thus understood that without Krsna, or Narayana, no one could help him. He therefore rightly took shelter of Lord Krsna and, with folded hands, began to pray as follows
- The Supreme Personality of Godhead, Sri Krsna, simply drove all these ghosts away from the battlefield with the arrows from His celebrated bow, Sarnga-dhanur
- The time factor is the most important element, above all others, because the material manifestation is effected by the agitation of time. Thus natural phenomena come into existence, and as soon as phenomena appear, fruitive activities are visible
- The ultimate cause of everything is the supreme eternal form of Krsna. All material actions and reactions take place in the impersonal Brahman, but in the personal Brahman, the eternal form of Krsna, there is no action and reaction
- There was a demigoddess named Kotara who was worshiped by Banasura, and their relationship was as mother and son. Mother Kotara was upset that Banasura's life was in danger, so she appeared on the scene (battlefield)
- These (life air, the ego, the ten sense organs, the mind & the five gross elements) then create the type of body which later becomes the root cause of various other bodies, which are acquired one after another by means of the transmigration of the soul
- They (the members of the Yadu dynasty) all went to Sonitapura and surrounded it with soldiers, elephants, horses and chariots
- This incident of the fight between the ultimate weapons of Lord Siva and Lord Krsna proves that if Krsna gives someone protection, no one can kill him, and if Krsna does not give one protection, no one can save him
- Those bewildered by the spell of Your (Krsna's) external energy embrace the threefold miseries of material existence & are subjected to the dualities of pain and pleasure, sometimes drowning in the ocean of attachment and sometimes being taken out of it
- To counteract the scorching heat of the Siva-jvara, there is no other weapon but the Narayana-jvara. Therefore, when Lord Krsna saw that the Siva-jvara had been released by Lord Siva, He had no recourse other than to release the Narayana-jvara
- We can simply imagine how fierce the fighting was - Lord Siva with his valiant sons on one side, and Lord Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and His elder brother, Sri Balaramaji, on the other
- When Banasura saw that his soldiers and commanders had been defeated, his anger only increased. He thought it wise to stop fighting with Satyaki, Krsna's commander in chief, and instead directly attack Lord Krsna
- When Banasura was blessed by Lord Krsna in this way, he came before the Lord & bowed down, touching his head to the earth. He immediately arranged to have his daughter Usa seated with Aniruddha on a nice chariot & then he presented them before Lord Krsna
- When excessive heat is counteracted by extreme cold, it is natural for the hot temperature to gradually reduce, and this is what occurred in the fight between the Siva-jvara and the Narayana-jvara
- When Lord Krsna saw the weapons of Banasura coming at Him, like water coming out of a strainer, He took His sharp-edged Sudarsana disc and began to cut off the demon's one thousand arms, one after another
- When Lord Siva released a particular weapon bringing about a violent hurricane on the battlefield, Lord Krsna presented just the opposing element, a mountain weapon, which checked the hurricane on the spot
- When Lord Siva released his personal weapon, called Pasupata-astra, Krsna immediately counteracted it with the Narayana-astra. Lord Siva then became exasperated in fighting with Lord Krsna. Krsna then took the opportunity to release His yawning weapon
- When Lord Siva released his weapon of devastating fire, Krsna counteracted it with torrents of rain
- When Lord Siva saw that his devotee Banasura could not be saved even in his presence, he came to his senses and personally came before Lord Krsna and began to pacify Him by offering the following prayers
- When the four months of the rainy season passed and Aniruddha had still not returned home, all the members of the Yadu family became much perturbed. They could not understand how the boy was missing
- When the Siva-jvara personified was released, he had three heads and three legs, and as he came toward Krsna it appeared that he was burning everything to ashes. He was so powerful that he made blazing fire appear in all directions
- When there is excessive heat, one can somehow or other tolerate it, but when there is excessive cold, everything collapses. This is actually experienced by a person at the time of death
- When this (yawning) weapon is released, the opposing party becomes tired, stops fighting and begins to yawn. Consequently, Lord Siva became so fatigued that he refused to fight anymore and began yawning
- With naked body and scattered hair, she (Kotara) stood before Lord Krsna. Sri Krsna did not like the sight of this naked woman, and to avoid seeing her He turned His face. Banasura, getting this chance to escape Krsna's attack, left the battlefield
- Without difficulty, Krsna cut each of Banasura's bows into two pieces and, to check him from going further, made the horses of his chariot lie on the ground so that the chariot broke to pieces. After doing this, Krsna blew His conchshell, Pancajanya
- Without guidance, all of Banasura's soldiers scattered here and there
- You (Krsna) are the last word in freedom from material contamination. I (Siva-jvara) therefore take shelter at Your lotus feet, giving up all other shelter
- You (Krsna) however, are the cause of this external energy, and thus You remain unaffected by the action and reaction of the different elements. And because You are transcendental to such compulsions of material energy, You are the supreme tranquillity
- You are the original consciousness, or knowledge. Without knowledge, or consciousness, nothing can be powerful
- Your unlimitedly potent activities are experienced by the most enlightened devotees, but those who are bewildered by the spell of Your (Krsna's) external energy identify themselves with this material world & become attached to society, friendship & love